The remade, rejigged, revitalised Harvey Awards, new for New York Comic Con announced their winners, down from twenty-odd categories to just six.
The winners were:
- Book of the Year: Monstress by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda (Image)
- Digital Book of the Year – Barrier by Brian K. Vaughn, Marcos Martin and Muntsa Vicente (Panel Syndicate)
- Best Children or Young Adult Book: Tie between The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang (First Second) and The Tea Dragon Society, by Katie O’Neill (Oni Press)
- Best Adaptation from a Comic Book/Graphic Novel: Black Panther (Walt Disney Pictures) – Directed by Ryan Coogler. Adapted from “Black Panther” (Marvel Comics)
- Best Manga: My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness by Nagata Kabi (Seven Seas)
- Best European Book: California Dreamin’: Cass Elliot Before the Mamas & The Papas by Pénélope Bagieu (First Second)
And for qualifying winning items, Diamond Comic Distributors is giving a small added discount to retailers who order backstock of these titles.
In addition, the Harvey Awards inducted Dave Gibbons (Watchmen) and Roz Chast (The New Yorker) into the Hall of Fame, Manga artist Harold Sakuishi (BECK) received the International Spotlight Award and Jackie Estrada won the inaugural Comics Industry Pioneer honour for her work spanning decades in the industry.
“Tonight was a very special evening. To be inducted into the Harvey Awards Hall of Fame alongside such a luminary as Roz is a huge honour,” said Dave Gibbons. “The diverse list of winners and the work on offer is a testament to the strength of our industry.”
“I am honoured to enter the Harvey Awards Hall of Fame with an amazing peer like Dave,” said Roz Chast. “It’s also terrific to meet some of the other winners tonight. The diversity of talent shows how the industry is evolving to reflect all viewpoints, regardless of gender and colour.”
“The Harvey Awards are among the pinnacle of the comic book industry and ReedPOP is thrilled to present this showcase which honours the best that this medium has to offer,” said Lance Fensterman, Global President of ReedPOP.
The Harvey Awards honors achievement in comic books across a variety of categories and represents one of the industry’s longest-running annual events. Named after Harvey Kurtzman (1924–1993), the influential cartooning genius who is best remembered for creating MAD.
- Brian Bendis Brings the C-Word to DC Comics With Cover #4 - December 19, 2018
- Infinity Wars Finds a Place for the Warps But Loses a Guardian of The Galaxy (SPOILERS) - December 19, 2018
- Lobo’s Daughter Crush Gets Superman’s Origin – Just at Burning Man (Teen Titans #25 Spoilers) - December 19, 2018
- Marvel’s Stan Lee Tribute Begins in Their Comics Today, and It Packs a Punch - December 19, 2018
- The Daily LITG, 19th December 2018 – Fairytales In New York - December 19, 2018