We’ve talked about the Monster Hunter film before, but Capcom finally made the official announcement of a film adaptation of their hit video game series. They also confirmed that Paul W.S. Anderson would be sitting in the director’s chair on the project.
“After living and breathing in the universe of Monster Hunter for 14 years we are thrilled with enormous anticipation to see our creations adapted for a theatrical release,” said Monster Hunter Series Producer, Ryozo Tsujimoto “Monster Hunter’s fan base has exploded over the past year with the runaway success of the game Monster Hunter: World™. It is our hope long-time fans and new alike will join us on this exciting exploration of the Monster Hunter universe.”
The film is currently being made under the incredibly creative working title Monster Hunter and will follow “two heroes who come from different worlds to defeat a shared danger, the powerful, deadly and magnificent monsters that inhabit the land.” So, sure, it’s got a pretty vague plot synopsis.
However, the oddest part of the announcement by Capcom is that, well, we already knew all of this.
Capcom did tease that fans of the series will be able to spot some familiar faces from the games, including the Admiral.
Monster Hunter is being produced by Paul W.S. Anderson and Jeremy Bolt from Imperial Pictures, and by Robert Kulzer and Martin Moszkowicz from Constantin Film. Dennis Berardi will be heading the VFX department for the movie and will also be acting as a producer. The screenplay was written by Anderson who will also be directing the film. Principle photography will start in October in South Africa and Namibia.
Constantin Film will handle distribution in German Speaking Territories, while Tencent Pictures will handle the Chinese release, and Toho Film will cover Japan. Sony’s Screen Gems will release the film in the United States with Sony Pictures Releasing International handling the overall worldwide distribution.
We’ve been talking about the Monster Hunter film for a few months now, and we already know that Mila Jovovich will be one of the stars, alongside Ron Perlman and T.I. Harris.
- The Witcher and More Will Be Coming to Monster Hunter World in 2019
- Milla Jovovoich, Tony Jaa With a Jawblade from 'Monster Hunter' Movie
- Monster Hunter: World on PC Will Soon Be Getting Lunastra
- Milla Jovovich Posts 'Monster Hunter' Movie Update
- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is Getting More Capcom Crossovers
- John Romero is Releasing New DOOM Content - December 12, 2018
- Twitch to Host Inspector Gadget Stream - December 12, 2018
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Voice on Rockstar’s Secretive Development - December 12, 2018
- Katy Perry to Join Cast of Final Fantasy Brave Exvius - December 11, 2018
- The Leaderboard and NYXL to Host a Super Smash Bros Livestream Next Week - December 11, 2018