Tonight, I took myself to the Hammersmith Apollo to see the latest League Of Gentlemen stage show, featuring Steve Pemberton, Mark Gatiss and Reece Shearsmith reprising the characters of Royston Vasey for the stage. And what began as a series of short vignettes reminiscent of their earlier pre-radio pre-TV work I remember from the Canal Cafe in Maida Vale, with a Legs Akimbo dance finale before the interval, it transformed in the second half into a full-scale stage invasion of oversized props, multi-media, quick changes and sequels to the previous TV series, revealing what happened to Tubbs in the photo booth and the wife mine with Papa Lazarou, and just how Pauline managed to survive her own death… and just what Ross remembers from that fateful afternoon together…
Hilarious, very silly, utterly foul, with the earlier material timed to a fast-paced perfection reminiscent of the like of Who’s On First with pathos. Odds are there’ll be a DVD or similar for Christmas…
And while I attended solo, I found myself sitting, in the gods at the end of the aisle to two familiar faces, one from Forbidden Planet and one from Titan Comics. Which everyone knows is basically the same thing.
Turns out that Forbidden Planet is a local shop for local people.
We’ll have no trouble here…
- Is New Year’s Day’s Doctor Who Actually Called Resolution Of The Daleks? - December 9, 2018
- Ten Thoughts about Doctor Who Series 11 Finale: The Battle Of Ranskoor Av Kolos - December 9, 2018
- BBC Confirms: No Doctor Who Series 12 Until 2020 - December 9, 2018
- “The DNA Of The Most Dangerous Creature In the Universe” – Trailer For Resolution, The Doctor Who New Year’s Day 2019 Special - December 9, 2018
- Ollie’s Outlets Selling $3.3 Million of Graphic Novels at 80% Off - December 9, 2018