Bad news for all you Henry Cavill as Superman fans, it would appear that Warner Bros. are at present not moving forward with any additional Superman titles starring the Brit, to instead focus on their in-process Supergirl film.
In a way, this makes sense, as the first female-led superhero film from the big studio Wonder Woman continues to be a focal point of the Justice League pieces, at least audience-wise. True, Justice League did make an impressive amount at the box office, it has not continued to drive a productive conversation about the franchise.
Deadline says that WB has been “mulling a completely different direction with its Superman canon for some time”, even considering “casting Michael B. Jordan in the role down the road”.
It was reported also that Cavill was possibly going to be appearing in a cameo in WB’s Shazam!, but due to Mission: Impossible – Fallout filming was unable to make it happen. Chances are with his casting in Netflix’s The Witcher, Cavill’s current availability would also be an issue for another outing as Superman.
This news is both sad and exciting, as >this< reporter really enjoyed Cavill’s portrayal of the last son of Krytpon, and would have liked to have seen at least one more outing for the cape on his shoulders. Exciting to know that at least one studio is seeing the promise and value of female heroes in focal points in their properties.
The Hollywood Reporter posted a “statement” from Warner Bros.:
Statement from Warner Bros.: "While no decisions have been made regarding any upcoming Superman films, we’ve always had great respect for and a great relationship with Henry Cavill, and that remains unchanged" https://t.co/oy9WHJ2nGE
— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) September 12, 2018
Next up on the slate for Warner Bros. release-wise is James Wan‘s Aquaman on December 21st, Shazam! on April 5th 2019, Todd Phillips’ The Joker on October 4th, and Wonder Woman 1984 on November 1st 2019. No word yet on when we may see a possible Supergirl film.
- Brett Cullen to Play Thomas Wayne in Todd Phillips' Joker Movie
- 'Supergirl': Nicole Maines on Ground-Breaking Trans Superhero Character
- Henry Cavill Responds to Today's 'Superman' Dust Up
- More Witcher Casting is Underway, Showrunner Teases
- 'The Witcher': Henry Cavill Comments on Geralt Casting
- Warner Bros. Looking for a Female Director for Supergirl Movie
- A New 'Supergirl' Film is Being Developed by Warner Bros.
- 'Mission: Impossible - Fallout' Almost Went the 'Justice League' Mustache Route
- Henry Cavill Wanted to Fight [SPOILER] in Man of Steel 2
- George R. R. Martin, Benioff and Weiss Get FUNKO Pops - September 21, 2018
- First Image of ‘Child’s Play Reboot Shows Off New Chucky - September 21, 2018
- CBS Announces ‘Star Trek: Short Trek’ 4 Shorts Coming - September 20, 2018
- Tessa Thompson Shares ‘Men In Black’ Set Photos - September 20, 2018
- Another New Trailer for ‘Doctor Who’ Season 11 - September 20, 2018