If you’ll recall, Netflix has a series from The Jim Henson Company on the docket which is currently in production based on The Dark Crystal. Which, of course, is what we wanted to ask Brian Henson about during his interview session at Dragon Con 2018.
“It’s been shooting since last November — it’s so cool that Netflix could get behind it in such a big way so that we can do it RIGHT. I say we, but I’ve been doing Happytime Murders, so it’s really my sister’s [Lisa Henson] and Halle Stanford‘s project. They’ve really put together a great, great time in London.
And I’ll be honest, I thought those days were gone. I thought by the ’80s, the idea of being able to walk into a stage and see an incredible fantasy world realized was just long gone because of CG and everything like that. But they’ve REALLY done it right. It’s GREAT. The workmanship is just stunning, the artistic quality is RIGHT THERE again; what I thought maybe was lost, it’s still there. They’ll be shooting for another few weeks, and then there will be a huge amount of post-production.”
And of course, we had to ask if there was anything he could tease fans with about possible familiar (or returning) characters from the original film [even though yes, we know it’s a prequel].
“[he looks to the back of the room] Don’t say anything? Ok, well, we’ve said it’s a prequel, and it’s not an immediate prequel, so it doesn’t end when the movie started. It takes place significantly earlier than when the movie took place.”
We’re super hopeful this The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance partnership will result in something special, and judging by Henson’s comments on what he’s seen of the production so far, it sounds like a real possibility.
There was also talk of the long-rumored Farscape movie project, and theoretically, if all goes well, we may see the continued space saga maybe finding a home on Netflix as well.
- Lisa Henson Talks Netflix's 'The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance' at NYCC
- Dragon Con: A Habit of Handmaids, Under His Eye
- A Raid of Vikings Invade During Dragon Con 2018
- Dragon Con: 'Orville' Cosplay Crew Invades Star Trek 10 Forward Party
- Dragon Con: General Leia Cosplay That'll Make You Cry
- Brian Henson Offers Updates on His 'Farscape' Movie
- Dragon Con: 32 Photos from Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge Live
- [Review] 'The Happytime Murders' Had So Much Potential
- Dragon Con to Host Live Jim Henson Creature Shop Challenge
- The Dark Crystal Gets A Netflix Prequel Series
- ‘Halloween’ 2018: Jamie Lee Curtis Rightfully Gets to Boast - October 22, 2018
- ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ will Premiere at Wembley in London - October 22, 2018
- Warner Bros. Shifts ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ to 2020 - October 22, 2018
- Let’s Talk About ‘The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell’ - October 22, 2018
- Netflix Orders Second Season of Animated Series ‘Disenchantment’ - October 22, 2018