Activision Blizzard has announced that World of Warcraft expansion Battle for Azeroth has become the series’ highest-selling to date.
There are a lot of things that shouldn’t work for World of Warcraft in 2018. MMORPG is a much more obscure genre these days after once ruling the market, and likewise, subscription services for games are incredibly rare. Add on top of that that WoW is 14 years old and shows its age, one would have to think it is waining in popularity a little bit, right?
Well, evidently not. According to Activision-Blizzard the newest expansion, Battle for Azeroth has astonishingly 3.4 million units on day-one alone. According to the publisher, that makes the expansion the most popular in World of Warcraft‘s history. It just overtakes Legion’s record two years ago, which sold 3.3 million units back in 2016, proving that the game is as popular as ever.
The expansion still has more content on the way too. Even putting aside World of Warcraft‘s famous content-filled patches in the future, but the first raid, Uldir will be landing September 4th, 2019, so there is bound to be a tail on subscriptions and the like.
This really is exciting news to hear. I’ve played an ungodly amount of the new expansion, and I am having a whale of a time. The magic of World of Warcraft remains strong, enduring as it pulls people back in, or possibly even for the first time. That is no small feat for a video game as old and obtuse as this one, especially with so many hurdles. The real question is, will it ever let up? With milestones like this, it seems impossible to ever envision an end to the game.
- World of Warcraft Classic Will be Available to All With a WoW Account
- Couch Studios Announces a New Cross-Platform MMORPG Called Ember Sword
- Blizzard Disables Loot Boxes for Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm in Belgium
- World Of Warcraft Gets a New Animated Short with Warbringers: Azshara
- Blizzard's Schedule for Gamescom 2018 Has Been Revealed
- Video: Everything You Need Know About World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth's Story in 7 Minutes.
- Story Primer: Blizzard is Toying with its Audience in World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth - and it's Excellent
- THQ Nordic has 35 Unannounced Projects After Acquiring Two New Studios - November 14, 2018
- Overwatch League Team Chengdu Hunters Revealed - November 13, 2018
- Ark: Survival Evolved Hit All Time Peak Players On Steam This Weekend - November 13, 2018
- Despite Activision’s Comments, Destiny 2 Director Says Bungie Aren’t Disappointed With Forsaken - November 12, 2018
- Destiny 2 is Under-Performing Says Activision - November 9, 2018