Square Enix, Eidos-Montréal, and Crystal Dynamics announced today that Shadow of the Tomb Raider is being developed on the NVIDIA RTX platform and therefore will be among the first games to feature real-time ray tracing as a rendering technique. The results of that bleeding edge tech can be seen in the new trailer released today for Gamescom 2018.
During Gamescom, attendees will have the opportunity to experience Shadow of the Tomb Raider with playable demos at the GeForce Gaming Celebration taking place in Cologne on August 20th and 21st. Meanwhile, NVIDIA will host a behind-closed-doors, first-time playable demo of Shadow of the Tomb Raider using real-time ray tracing on PC.
“We had an excellent partnership with NVIDIA on Rise of the Tomb Raider,” said Rich Briggs, Senior Brand Director at Crystal Dynamics. “Now, thanks to NVIDIA RTX technology, we are pleased to announce that Shadow of the Tomb Raider will, quite fittingly, feature real-time shadows.”
“An iconic pop culture figure like Lara Croft deserves the cinematic treatment that ray tracing can deliver,” said Tony Tamasi, senior vice president of content and technology at NVIDIA. “As soon as we first experienced NVIDIA RTX in our lab, it was clear that Square Enix, Eidos-Montréal, and Crystal Dynamics would be ideal partners to debut it with.”
Real-time ray tracing is a rendering technique used for the PC version of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which has been considered the definitive solution for realistic and lifelike lighting, reflections, and shadows, ray tracing offers a level of realism far beyond what is possible using traditional rendering techniques. Ray tracing has been used for years to pre-render lifelike worlds in movies. Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be one of the first games to utilize that technology.
You can check out the snazzy new tech below.
- Everyone is Freaking Out About a Cut Shadow of The Tomb Raider Ending
- Square Enix Releases the Shadow of the Tomb Raider Launch Trailer
- The Last Remnant Will Be Delisted From Steam in the Near Future
- European Comics Platform Izneo is Moving to the Switch - November 11, 2018
- Metro Exodus Spartan Collector’s Edition Details Revealed - November 11, 2018
- EA and UEFA Reveal the eChampions League for FIFA 19 - November 11, 2018
- PlayStation Owners in Chicago will be Taxed Extra for Game Rentals - November 11, 2018
- Thief Simulator Tops Steam’s Bestseller List This Weekend - November 11, 2018