Ron D. Moore is sort of science fiction television legend status — having worked in the annals of Star Trek, the short-lived Star Wars tv show that never made it to series, and the reimagined Battlestar Galactica.
He also is known for giving extremely thoughtful answers when asked questions at conventions (as we know from experience), as made apparent by his response to a Star Trek ‘franchise fatigue’ question during Creation’s annual Star Trek: Las Vegas (STLV) convention earlier this month:
When you say something like franchise fatigue it means that, to me, it means that particular flavor had run dry, essentially, to mix my metaphors, essentially that way of doing Star Trek, that way of telling story, and those kinds of stories had run its course.
You could just see in the shows, it had fatigue, it was tired. It wasn’t really engaging any more or felt like it was just standing in place.
Then it gets reinvented, and then you bring in new people, and you bring in new ideas, and you change up the parameters, and then it all gets reinvigorated again. So, it’s not so much about volume, it’s not really about how many shows there are, it’s really about are you able to still engage the audience and make it seem fresh and exciting. Once you’re in the same place and doing the same show time after time after time, which is what the Star Trek franchise started to feel like by the time that Enterprise ended, it just felt all the same and it didn’t feel new. Then it’s time for a big change, then it’s time to go fallow for a while and plant the ground all over again.
Moore is currently showrunning Outlander for STARZ, as well as developing a new ‘space’ series for Apple, an alternative history take that asks “what if we never stopped the space race?”
- Outlander Season 4 to Premiere at SCAD Savannah Film Festival
- Ronald D. Moore's Full-Page 'Outlander' Ad to Thank Terry Dresbach
- David S. Goyer Lands Asimov's 'Foundation' Series at Apple
- 'Battlestar Galactica' Oral History Book Details the Death of Starbuck
- Joel Kinnaman, 2 Others Join Ron D. Moore's Space Series for Apple
- Who Are All Those New People in the 'Outlander' Season 4 Trailer?
- STARZ Drops Surprise 'Outlander' Season 4 Trailer During Q & A
- Ron D. Moore On Why Replicators are the WORST, and Other Words of Wisdom
- Lets Talk About Good Eats: Reloaded and Alton Brown - October 15, 2018
- Peter Dinklage Talks Post-Game of Thrones Life, and Tyrion’s Final Day - October 15, 2018
- Dracula Series Coming to BBC, Netflix from Sherlock Team - October 15, 2018
- Meet Alfred for Gotham Spinoff Series, Pennyworth - October 15, 2018
- The Russo Brothers Say Avengers 4 has Wrapped Filming - October 15, 2018