2017’s Power Rangers was not exactly the hit that everyone involved wanted it to be. No one was really expecting a sequel, and when the Power Rangers brand was sold to Hasbro, fans of the 2017 movie assumed that the sequel dream had died. It turns out that isn’t the case.
CEO of Hasbro Brian Goldner confirmed to Licensing.org that a sequel is on the way.
Power Rangers will generate an operating profit similar to Hasbro’s other franchise brands and has a “significant opportunity for growth given where the brand had been most recently,” Goldner said. Hasbro will work with a film studio to develop a new Power Rangers movie as a follow-up to the 2017 release.
So it sounds like things are in very early development. Whether or not they’ll be able to get the same cast is still up for debate.
We also got a formal announcement on the status of Transformers 6. The movie had a 2019 release date, but we’d heard nothing about it since, and now they are confirming that the movie is delayed — not cancelled, as had been speculated.
Meanwhile Paramount and Hasbro’s All Spark Pictures have postponed release of a new Transformers 6 film until after 2019, due largely to the release of the Bumblebee film late this year, which pushed out plans for home entertainment. Transformers 6 had been scheduled for release on June 21, 2019.
Perhaps they are waiting to see what the reception of Bumblebee is and then basing their plan on that going forward. Probably a smart move.
Summary: On the run in the year 1987, Bumblebee finds refuge in a junkyard in a small Californian beach town. Charlie, on the cusp of turning 18 and trying to find her place in the world, discovers Bumblebee, battle-scarred and broken.
Bumblebee, directed by Travis Knight, stars Hailee Steinfeld, John Cena, Jorge Lendeborg Jr., Rachel Crow, and Pamela Adlon. It will be released on December 21st.
- Aquaman Director James Wan Was Given the Opportunity to Direct The Flash - December 16, 2018
- Amy Adams Clarifies That She Isn’t Officially out of the DC Universe - December 16, 2018
- From Spider-Ham to Sinister Six Sony Isn’t Ruling Anything out for Future Movies - December 14, 2018
- First Details for the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sequel and Spin-Off are Confirmed - December 14, 2018
- Jason Momoa Comments on Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck Reportedly Leaving the DC Universe - December 13, 2018