There are lots of things to do in August in London if you like comics. But Forbidden Planet celebrating their fortieth birthday is helping. Here is a report from a copy of Comic Media International from 1977 that I picked up at rival store 30th Century Comics in Putney a couple of months ago.
Founded in Denmark Street in 1978, Forbidden Planet is the best-known brand in pop culture in the UK, and it is a common sight to see people round the city carrying bags with that iconic logo designed by Rian Hughes. Founded by Mike Lake, Luckman and Nick Landau of UK comics distributor Titan (later bought out by Diamond), as well as being one of the longest surviving comic book stores in this country, it was one of the first UK shops to stock any kind of movie merchandise.
Now split into two firms, with stores across the country – and even in New York – their London Megastore now on Shaftesbury Avenue, is a tourist destination in its own right.
And that includes a new take on their famous Brian Bolland image, which was also in that magazine from 1978…
With this newer version from their 40th-anniversary souvenir magazine.
But also being used for a homage Rick & Morty mug. Here’s the design…
And here’s a gallery of their signings past.
- The Daily LITG – 18th October 2019 - October 18, 2018
- Titan Scorch Earth on Diablo Comic Book Listings - October 17, 2018
- DC Comics Cancels All Orders for Sandman: Overture Gallery Edition – For Now - October 17, 2018
- Tibalt Appears on Magic The Gathering: Chandra #3, Fandom Goes Wild - October 17, 2018
- Fortnite Parody Comic ‘Fartnite’ to be Published From Remy Eisu Mokhtar and Chris Crosby - October 17, 2018