It would appear that the saga of NBC’s time travel series Timeless is drawing to an end, with a two-hour series finale scheduled to bring the show to conclusion.
There was talk among hopefuls about a possible last-minute save by Netflix, but the streaming service and studio quashed that during their TCA presentation over the weekend revealing there were “no talks” about saving the series.
Perhaps you’ll recall when NBC originally announced after a single season that the series would not be renewed, which began a domino effect of cast and crew reacting with surprise and a inspired fever to get the show a second season. It worked, and NBC gave it another chance, giving Universal Television a 50% stake in the show.
It didn’t work the way everyone intended, and the series has been canceled again. This time, for good, after a two-hour series finale.
NBC Entertainment Co-President of Scripted Programming Lisa Katz said in a statement:
“We’re excited to tell one final chapter to this incredible story. A huge thank you to all — our cast, crew, producers and partners at Sony – who have worked so very hard, and to the fans who kept us on our toes and made sure we did our very best week after week.”
Variety says there is no set date for the end of the show, but a winter release is “likely”.
Timeless executive producers Shawn Ryan and Eric Kripke said of the “special”:
“While we wish we could’ve made another dozen seasons of ‘Timeless,’ this is the next best thing. We’re thrilled to take the Lifeboat out for one last spin and bring closure to our story. The studio, network, cast and crew are all doing this for one reason only: the fans. Because they deserve it. Because the fans made this happen and we thank them for their passion, support and helicopters. So? You guys want to get Rufus back or what?”
- Netflix VP Cindy Holland on Saving 'Lucifer', Cancelling 'Everything Sucks', Status of 'Shadowhunters', and More
- Time's Up for NBC's 'Timeless' as Network Cancels Series for Second Time
- Timeless Season 2 Gets a Premiere Date from NBC
- NBC Uncancels Timeless, Says Writer Eric Kripke
- TV Networks Begin Their Spring Cleaning: Frequency, Timeless Among Series Already Cancelled
- ‘Bond 25’ Director Cary Fukunaga on Franchise Past, Present, Future - December 11, 2018
- Bruce Campbell Says He’d Host The Oscars - December 11, 2018
- Robert Rodriguez Shares New ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ Poster - December 11, 2018
- ‘Drunk History’ Tackles “The Creation of Frankenstein” in 2019 - December 11, 2018
- Luke’s Lightsaber Pulled from Auction, Mark Hamill Responds - December 11, 2018