With no new Star Wars: Episode IX news coming out of last week’s San Diego Comic-Con, Disney and Lucasfilm have chosen to reveal a pretty big parcel of information today: the official cast list for the J.J. Abrams-directed (and still yet to be titled) Episode IX.
In a press release posted to the official Star Wars.com website, there are confirmations of the return of several original Star Wars family members as well as the news drop of Princess General Leia being in the film:
Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio.
Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie, Richard E. Grant, and Keri Russell, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.
The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”
Composer John Williams, who has scored every chapter in the Star Wars saga since 1977’s A New Hope, will return to a galaxy far, far away with Episode IX.
Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Michelle Rejwan, and executive produced by Callum Greene and Jason McGatlin. The crew includes Dan Mindel (Director of Photography), Rick Carter and Kevin Jenkins (Co-Production Designers), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Neal Scanlan (Creature and Droid FX), Maryann Brandon and Stefan Grube (Editors), Roger Guyett (VFX Supervisor), Tommy Gormley (1st AD), and Victoria Mahoney (2nd Unit Director).
Release is scheduled for December 2019.
- Richard E. Grant asked JJ Abrams to Pinch Him Because 'Star Wars'
- Matt Smith Joins Star Wars: Episode IX in an Unknown Key Role
- Richard E. Grant is Not Playing Grand Admiral Thrawn in Star Wars: Episode IX
- Mark Hamill Thinks Carrie Fisher Should Have a Star Instead of Trump
- JJ Abrams Joins Twitter, Shares First Day of 'Star Wars: Episode IX' Photo
- Mark Hamill Comments on Carrie Fisher 'Star Wars: Episode IX' News
- Mark Hamill Comments on the 'Star Wars: Episode IX' Casting
- Carrie Fisher's Princess Leia WILL Return in 'Star Wars: Episode IX'
- Keri Russell May Be Joining Guillermo del Toro's Thriller 'Antlers'
- Billy Dee Williams Reprising Lando Calrissian Role for Star Wars: Episode IX
- Star Wars: Episode IX May Have Keri Russell Play [SPOILER]
- ‘Aquaman’ is the Live-Action ‘Atlantis: The Lost Empire’ - December 16, 2018
- Netflix’s ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ Trailer Dropping Tomorrow? - December 16, 2018
- Rian Johnson’s Heartfelt ‘The Last Jedi’ Thanks, 1 Year Later - December 16, 2018
- Box Office: ‘Spider-Verse’ Tops With $35 Million - December 16, 2018
- ‘SUPERMAN THE MOVIE’: Profound Impact Still Felt on 40th Anniversary - December 15, 2018