Words by: Brandon Wainerdi (@ActuallyBrandon)
Photos by: Jason Kauzlarich (@TheyLiveObey)
Trying to grab a poster at the Mondo booth during San Diego Comic-Con may not be fun (at all), but they definitely made up for it this year by hosting an off-site, after-hours tiki party.
When released a month ago, tickets (of course) went very fast but all three of us in our party managed to grab the deluxe option, which include a random selection of one of Mondo’s “rare” tiki mugs, as well as drink tickets and potential raffle prizes.
Tucked away inside a completely unrelated restaurant, the False Idol bar is ten minutes away from the convention center but a real delight, in itself. Charming, kitschy and appropriately dark, the bar was packed with excited fans, each gripping the newest addition to their collection (Jason and I both got the Alien Xeno Bone variant, limited to 150, while our friend received the Gremlins Microwave Melt edition, which only had 100 made).
With syrupy (delicious) drinks pouring freely and Comic-Con-exclusive raffle prizes being handed out (our friend walked away with the now-sold-out Die Hard poster created by 100% Soft), Mondo capped the night by announcing their now-formalized partnership with the bar. This fall, an exclusive Jaws Tiki Mug will debut only at this San Diego location.
Guess we need to book our flight.
- Uber: Invasion and Cinema Purgatorio in Avatar Press November 2018 Solicits - August 16, 2018
- Matt Brady Returns to Comics, and Somehow Bleeding Cool Has the Scoop - August 16, 2018
- Warren Ellis’s Only Convention Appearance in 2018 Will Be at Thought Bubble – But No, He Won’t Sign That - August 16, 2018
- The Bad of Fan Expo Boston 2018 – and Fan Expo’s Response - August 16, 2018
- Extermination #1 Second Printing Runs Final Page Spoiler on the Cover - August 16, 2018