Words and Photos by Bleeding Cool’s Alex Arevalos:
The room is filling up, the DJ Amanda Jones is playing a fantastic set and people are already rifling through gift bags. The Her Universe Fashion show has started, in its 5th year the fashion show has been bringing “Fashion Week to SDCC”. The brain child of Ashley Eckstein, the Her Universe show is a fantastic example of a group of different companies coming together to help support some amazing designers.
The show presented us with a brief example of several lines from Hot Topic, Box Lunch, Singer and Cartoon Network. These different brands were also celebrating some major milestones 20 years since The Nightmare Before Christmas, 20 years of The Powerpuff Girls and 10 years since Disney’s Clone Wars premiered. On hand to celebrate the renewal of the clone wars, Ashley presented two of her co stars Dee Bradley Baker and Matt Lanter.
This was a night of surprises, when Ashley mentioned a model who hadn’t been able to walk earlier would come out. We were teased by the mentioned of needing Doctor Who music for this particular model. There was a cheer as a cloaked model came out to revel the newest Doctor herself Jodie Whittaker. Jodie spoke a bit about being super happy to be there, to show off a custom jacket based on outer space and delighted the crowd.
The night closed down with the final constants showing off their designs on some fabulous models. While the judges stepped away to deliberate, instead of an intermission the four winners of Cartoon Network’s Powerpuff Design winners came out and show off their custom looks. Afterwards all the crowd members in cosplay were brought up on stage before the winners were announced and the night ended with lots of cheering and applauding.
The Her Universe Fashion show was a stunning night of fashion, entertainment and showmanship, we expect next year to not be any less amazing. Following is a gallery that I have shot.
- Check Out This 'Incredibles 2' Cosplay Group from SDCC!
- 29 Cosplay Photos from SDCC: Marvel, DC, Vikings, and More
- BBC Releases Entire SDCC 'Doctor Who' Panel Video From Hall H
- Iceman #1 Review: A Very Welcome Return - September 12, 2018
- House of Whispers #1 Review: Sandman Universe Struggling to Create Engagement - September 12, 2018
- Infinity Wars #3 Review: What if Captain America but Also Doctor Strange? - September 12, 2018
- Weapon X #23 Review: Deadpool is a Comic-Killer - September 11, 2018
- Nightwing #48 Review: The Motor Cycle Race of the Cosmos - September 11, 2018