Amazon Studios is ready to bring Simon Stålenhag‘s acclaimed science fiction artwork to life, moving forward with hour-long fantasy series Tales from The Loop.
Nathaniel Halpern (Legion) will serve as both showrunner and executive producer with acclaimed Never Let Me Go‘s Mark Romanek directing the pilot and serving as an executive producer. Matt Reeves (The Batman), Adam Kassan (The Passage), and Rafi Crohn (The Passage) also serve as executive producers on the eight-episode series; a co-production with Fox 21 Television Studios that Amazon Prime Video will premiere in over 200 countries and territories.
“Nathaniel is a gifted storyteller who shares our passion for creating soulful, human stories that push the boundaries of genre programming and we’re thrilled to be working with him on this series.”
– Sharon Tal Yguado, Head of Scripted Genre Programming, Amazon Studios
Based on Stålenhag’s works, Tales from The Loop explores the town and people who live above “The Loop,” a machine built to unlock and explore the mysteries of the universe — making things possible that were previously relegated only to science fiction. In this fantastical, mysterious town, poignant human tales are told that bare universal emotional experiences while drawing on the intrigue of genre storytelling.
“Simon Stålenhag’s paintings are renowned for their vision of a not-too-distant, futuristic landscape. We are looking forward to bringing that to life and sharing it with our Prime Video audience.”
– Albert Cheng, Co-Head of Television, Amazon Studios
Tales from The Loop is Swedish production and management company Indio’s first US narrative episodic project, partnering the company with 6th & Idaho and Fox 21 Television Studios to bring Stålenhag’s work to the screen. Executive producing for and representing Indio are Mattias Montero, Johan Lindström and Samantha Taylor Pickett (We, the Coyotes).
“I was immediately intrigued by the idea of bringing Stålenhag’s incredible paintings to life, but it’s Nathaniel’s deeply inspired vision for this world, and the stories he has created from an incredibly passionate and emotional place, that will drive this series and its storytelling. Together with Mark’s brilliant visual sensibility and unique point of view, it makes this a truly exceptional project and the perfect one to partner with Amazon in our studio’s first direct-to-series order at the streamer.”
– Jane Francis, EVP, Fox 21 Television Studios
- Arrowverse “Elseworlds”: Coming Fall 2019…Crisis on Infinite Earths! - December 11, 2018
- Crisis Management: Supergirl ‘Elseworlds, Part 3’ (Bleeding Cool’s Arrowverse Live-Blog!) - December 11, 2018
- Ratched: Finn Wittrock, Jon Jon Briones Join Ryan Murphy ‘Cuckoo’s Nest’ Prequel - December 11, 2018
- Siren Season 2: Ryn’s a ‘Fish Out of Water’ Around Bristol Cove (PREVIEW) - December 11, 2018
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa on “Sexier” Season 2, Salem’s Voice, and More! - December 11, 2018