In the E3 trailer for Destiny 2: Forsaken, we watched beloved Hunter Vanguard Cayde-6 get murdered in the Prison of Elders. That sequence comes from the ending of the first campaign mission for the Forsaken expansion, and many fans were heartbroken at the news.
Of all the Vanguard, Cayde-6 is the clear favorite among even casual Destiny fans, and for good reason. Cayde’s the most personable, the most amusing, and arguably has the best voice acting in the game thanks to Nathan Fillion. He’s probably the most recognizable Destiny character outside of the Ghost, so watching him die during an E3 press conference was rather jarring.
Naturally, with unhappy fans on the loose, Bungie felt the need to comment on their decision to kill off the game’s most popular character. They released a new video today that includes developer commentary on the new direction that Forsaken is taking the franchise in. As you might have guessed, Forsaken is a much darker chapter in the Destiny storyline — which was already pretty dark just from the base campaign of Destiny 2. Essentially, the main plot of Forsaken sees the Guardian head off on a revenge mission, and to do that, someone important needed to die.
And who better than fan-favorite Cayde-6? Yes, Cayde died just to give us motivation. Like a superhero’s girlfriend.
You can check out the dev insights about the game’s darker narrative in the video below.
- Bungie Announces Destiny 2 Forsaken - Legendary Collection for September
- Destiny 2 Receives New Trailer Highlighting the Solstice of Heroes Event
- Free League Launches Kickstarter for Mutant: Elysium - November 20, 2018
- Hearthstone Reveals New Cards for Rastakhan’s Rumble Expansion - November 20, 2018
- Firebrand Games is Bringing Solar Flux to the Switch - November 20, 2018
- Bethesda, Why??? Fallout 76’s First Patch is Over 50 GB on Consoles - November 19, 2018
- Wasteland 3 and Bard’s Tale IV are Still Porting to PS4 - November 19, 2018