The first spinoff from the Fast and Furious series has picked up a new leading lady, Variety reports. Vanessa Kirby is in final negotiations to join Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham in Hobbs and Shaw. She will be playing Shaw’s sister and a MI-5 agent, according to Variety. It’s unclear whether she’ll be a protagonist or an antagonist.
The Fast and Furious movies have always had family as a major theme, be it family by blood or family by choice. It’s the villains, however, who seem to focus on family by blood, because Shaw only joined the series after his brother (played by Luke Evans in Fast and Furious 6) was injured.
Kirby is best known for her role as Princess Margaret in The Crown, but she’s also appearing as the White Widow in the upcoming Mission: Impossible – Fallout.
Production for Hobbs and Shaw is set to start production this September, it’ll be directed by David Leitch, and it has a release date of July 26th, 2019. The Fast and Furious series has made $5.1 billion in the worldwide box office and has been keeping the lights on at Universal Pictures since 2001.
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Teases First Day of Hobbs And Shaw
- 2 More 'The Crown' Season 3 Images: Helena Bonham Carter and Ben Daniels
- Aquaman Director James Wan Was Given the Opportunity to Direct The Flash - December 16, 2018
- Amy Adams Clarifies That She Isn’t Officially out of the DC Universe - December 16, 2018
- From Spider-Ham to Sinister Six Sony Isn’t Ruling Anything out for Future Movies - December 14, 2018
- First Details for the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sequel and Spin-Off are Confirmed - December 14, 2018
- Jason Momoa Comments on Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck Reportedly Leaving the DC Universe - December 13, 2018