There’s no real denying the popularity of Riot Games’ League of Legends over the years, but a brand-new statistic proves the game’s longevity has an impact. This week, the developer’s Twitch channel successfully surpassed one billion views, making it the current all-time holder for viewers on the social streaming service.
Twitch itself owes a good chunk of their early success to hosting esports coverage, with League of Legends playing a major role in that growth as (until battle royale games became immensely popular), the game and its tournaments were raking in viewers by the hundreds of thousands every weekend for a few years.
And to be clear on the numbers, while there aren’t official stats out anywhere, this isn’t just a U.S. audience contributing to the views, as a good chunk of those have to be attributed to countries like China, South Korea, Japan, the U.K., and Germany where the game is popular. Having Twitch as a service where you can see any tournament in the world no matter what time of day was a big help in getting them international exposure on a regular basis. So congrats to Riot Games for the accomplishment, as we now wait to see who will be the next channel to reach the milestone.
- Riot Games Launches New Event With League of Legends: Odyssey
- Riot Games' Design Director Addresses Sexual Harassment at the Company
- GIPHY Has Now Been Added to Twitch's Extensions Lineup for Streamers
- The IOC is Hosting an Esports Forum to Consider Olympic Inclusion
- Red Bull All-Stars Launch Inaugural League of Legends Tournament
- Tencent Acquires Majority Stake in Path of Exile Dev Grinding Gear
- Twitch Announces New Monetization with Bits in Extensions
- League of Legends Dev Agrees That Riot Games Oversexualized Kai'Sa
- The League of Legends Premiership Finals Take Place This Weekend in Leicester
- Review: DogMight Dice Carriers and Rolling Tray for Vampire: The Masquerade - November 21, 2018
- Hello Games Will Soon Add a “Vision” Update to No Man’s Sky - November 21, 2018
- We Tried to Break Everything We Could Testing Out Just Cause 4 - November 21, 2018
- Playtesting Dark Dungeons as We Check Out Underworld Ascendant - November 21, 2018
- Twitch Officially Announces a European Expansion to TwitchCon - November 21, 2018