Sad news for fans of Friday The 13th: The Game, as Gun Media confirmed yesterday they can no longer make content for the game. Due to the ever-growing legal battle over the rights to the franchise and its name, the indie multiplayer survival horror game has now been caught in the tangled web and been told they cannot create any new content revolving around Friday The 13th.
Below is the post where the developers let players know the full situation. We’d like to stay optimistic that after the legal junk is done, the parties can come to some agreement to continue with content. But beyond maintenance, nothing new is one the way.
Sorry for the silence as of recent. It’s been a tough couple weeks, as I’m sure you’re aware. But I wanted to address a few questions that I’ve had sent to me personally, as well as questions we’ve received through the official F13 channels. These questions vary but all have a similar tone/request. “Is there a chance of any content being added to the game if a ruling on the dispute occurs in the near future?” The answer is no.
Development on games can’t just pause indefinitely and pick back up again; it doesn’t work that way. Especially when you have no idea when that future date will occur. We can’t keep building content that may never see the light of day. That’s bad business. I’ve also had questions about adding “non-F13” related content to the game. “Can’t you make a new level or a new counselor that has nothing to do with the films?” We can’t do that either. We can’t add any content, whatsoever. Nada. Not even a new tree or rock. We can only focus on console dedicated servers, bug fixes, and maintenance.
I know this isn’t the news you wanted to hear and I wish the situation were different. But it’s the painful truth. I appreciate your passion and look forward to seeing everyone around camp.
- Gun Media Discusses the Future of Friday The 13th: The Game
- Friday the 13th: The Game Gets a New Developer For Maintenance
- Friday the 13th: The Game Caught Up in Movie Copyright Lawsuit
- Friday The 13th Part 5 Gets an Ultimate Jason Figure From NECA
- Friday the 13th: The Game Players Accessed Jason X's Skin Early... Again
- Friday The 13th: The Game has Weapon Swapping at a High Level
- Castle of Horror: On Friday the 13th Part IV's Anniversary, We Ask: Was Roger Ebert Right That Slasher Films Are Immoral?
- Final Fantasy XIV Receives a New Expansion in Shadowbringers - November 16, 2018
- Subnation Partners With DreamHack as Their Cultural Experience Partner - November 16, 2018
- Nintendo Will Not Be Making an N64 Mini, For Now - November 16, 2018
- Overwatch Enters Another Free Weekend to Show Off Ashe - November 16, 2018
- SEGA Releases New Music Tracks From Team Sonic Racing - November 15, 2018