I don’t think anyone is happy to see the word microtransactions when it comes to their favorite game, so fans of The Division 2 are about to get depressed. The crew over at Gaming Bolt got a quick interview with Ubisoft at E3, speaking to the game’s Associate Creative Director, Chadi El-Zibaoui. When pressed for the issue on microtransactions and loot boxes, they got some less and encouraging words.
He also discussed the sticky question surrounding monetization in The Division 2– he confirmed there will be microtransactions, and they will be limited to cosmetics, but he didn’t comment on whether or not loot boxes will be in the game either way, which doesn’t strike me as too encouraging.
“For now we’re keeping the same strategy as the first game: It’s all about vanity. We really want Division 2 to be a fair experience for everyone. Now regarding loot boxes I can’t comment about those at the moment,” he said.
The fact that they don’t want to discuss loot boxes instead of just saying they won’t be in the game is super discouraging. It’s basically a sign that they’re coming, but they don’t want to talk about how they’ll be implemented. Hopefully, the system is so screwed up that it affects gameplay or the ability to enjoy it if you avoid them altogether.
- New CS:GO Update Stops Loot Boxes from Being Opened in Netherlands, Belgium
- Tom Clancy's The Division 2 Info Galore at Ubisoft E3 Conference
- Come Watch the Ubisoft E3 2018 Press Conference with Us [Liveblog]
- Fallout 76, Devil May Cry 5, Battlefield V Announced as Xbox One X Enhanced Titles
- Everything Announced at Microsoft's Xbox E3 Conference
- Ubisoft Reveals The Division 2 Trailer and Gameplay at Xbox's E3 Conference
- Dead By Daylight Adds a Smoking Jacket and New Content Roadmap - July 17, 2018
- GIPHY Has Now Been Added to Twitch’s Extensions Lineup for Streamers - July 17, 2018
- Fortnite Receives an Update with a Few New Bits of Gear - July 17, 2018
- Blizzard Announces a Date for Wrecking Ball to Join Overwatch - July 17, 2018
- Friday the 13th: The Game is Getting a Collector’s Edition - July 17, 2018