MTV is returning to the well with a live-action series adaptation of Aeon Flux. Executive producer Gale Anne Hurd (The Walking Dead) and writer Jeff Davis (Teen Wolf) are leading the charge to revisit the character from the animated series that ran for three season on the network back in the 1990s. THR.com is reporting that Davis will pen the script and be an EP along with Hurd, who was part of the 2005 feature film that starred Charlize Theron.
Aeon Flux is about a young female assassin in a future dystopian state who teams with a group of biohacking rebels to save humanity. The original series debut in 1991 with six shorts that aired as part of MTV’s Liquid Television experiment. It returned with five more shorts in 1992 and then 10 half-hour episodes in 1995. It series was created by Peter Chung. The film adaptation, which starred Theron and Frances McDormand, was pretty much both a critical and financial bomb, bringing in only $52.3 million worldwide after having cost $62 million to make.
This joins Jersey Shore, Yo MTV Raps and TRL as MTV properties getting a revival. They’re also said to be developing a revival of The Real World. Rumor has it that they will be announcing a studio to help monetize their existing library, with an announcement coming as early as this week.
- 5 Things We Want to See in Krypton Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Gotham Season 5, the Final Season - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Black Lightning Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Supergirl Season 4 - June 30, 2018