The rumor mill has started up again when it comes to DC and Warner Bros. Today the big news was Geoff Johns stepping down so he could make his own production company. We learned that he’s getting to work on that forever in development Green Lantern Corps. but, as usual, there are more details buried within these various stories. This one comes from Deadline and their article about the Johns story.
Many believe Warner Bros and DC counted too much on director Zack Snyder, not known for his sense of humor and who set a tone so dark that it became a joke in Deadpool 2, when that superhero character told a humorless nemesis he was dark enough to be a DC universe character. There is an opportunity for Toby Emmerich to really reshuffle the executive deck on the feature side and turn DC into something more formidable than it is right now, even as a James Wan-directed Aquaman is coming and Wonder Woman 2 is in production, with Matt Reeves rebooting Batman for a new standalone franchise, likely with a new actor to play the Caped Crusader after Ben Affleck’s stints in Batman V Superman and Justice League.
There is a lot to break down here. First of all, that sense of humor Warner Bros. seemed to have developed over the jokes about Green Lantern do not extend to jokes about the DC universe, which is an interesting line to draw in the sand. The interesting part comes from the last bit of the paragraph where they say that director Matt Reeves is rebooting the character of Batman and recasting once again, giving credence that actor Ben Affleck has wanted out of his contract for a while.
Now, this is by no means a confirmation, but there is so much smoke with this rumor that one has to wonder where the fire is. If they are waiting until Hall H at Comic-Con International to make this announcement, that could backfire on them. There are some very rabid fanboys when it comes to the current DC movies, and it would be horrible to see someone get announced as a cast member and met with boos.
- From Spider-Ham to Sinister Six Sony Isn’t Ruling Anything out for Future Movies - December 14, 2018
- First Details for the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sequel and Spin-Off are Confirmed - December 14, 2018
- Jason Momoa Comments on Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck Reportedly Leaving the DC Universe - December 13, 2018
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine Season 6: A New Promo and 17 New Cast and Promo Pictures - December 13, 2018
- Meet Spider-Man Noir in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse in This New Clip - December 13, 2018