Tom Cruise has posted a photo from the filming of Top Gun: Maverick to tease the start of production. The 55-year old actor is making a sequel 32 years after the original premiered. The original film starred Cruise as Pete Mitchell aka Maverick, a hot shot pilot that broke all the rules and still found himself in the Navy’s top flight school. The film also starred Kelly McGillis, Val Kilmer, Meg Ryan, Anthony Edwards, Tom Skerrit, Adrian Pasdar, Tim Robbins and Michael Ironside and came out in May of 1986.
The image posted on Instragram had Cruise back in his flight suit with an F-14 Tomcat in the distance and the line “Need for Speed” super-imposed over the image. Top Gun: Maverick is supposed to be similar to the first in the competition factor between pilots, but also shows the characters progression. The new film is written by Peter Craig and Justin Marks and directed by Joseph Kosinski (Tron: Legacy). There has been no word if any other cast members from the original film will be returning. Or any real notification of the rest of the cast.
This is kind of a strange sequel for me to cover as Top Gun was the movie I went to on my first date with my first girlfriend in high school… that was more than a few years ago.
Top Gun: Maverick is due in theaters July 12th, 2019.
- Christopher McQuarrie Can't Say Much About 'Top Gun: Maverick', But-
- Miles Teller to Play Goose's Son in 'Top Gun: Maverick'
- Top Gun: Maverick - Who Will Play Goose's Son?
- 5 Things We Want to See in Krypton Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Gotham Season 5, the Final Season - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Black Lightning Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Supergirl Season 4 - June 30, 2018