Perhaps you’ll recall that recent hyperspace bombshell (but not really if you’ve been paying attention) that Star Wars character Lando Calrissian really is the swinger we all think he is. Namely Solo: A Star Wars Story screenwriter Jonathan Kasdan saying that there was a “fluidity to Donald and Billy Dee’s [portrayal of] Lando’s sexuality,” and that he would have included more “explicitly LGBT character” in the film.
Donald Glover, who plays the young cape-wearin’ space pirate in the Solo solo story, offered his opinion on the matter.
“How can you not be pansexual in space? There are so many things to have sex with. I didn’t think that was that weird. Yeah, he’s coming on to everybody. I mean, yeah, whatever. It just didn’t seem that weird to me ‘cause I feel like if you’re in space it’s kind of like, the door is open! It’s like, no, only guys or girls. No, it’s anything. This thing is literally a blob. Are you a man or a woman? Like, who cares? Have good time out here.”
Entertainment Weekly goes on to say that Glover said original Lando actor Billy Dee Williams guided his performance in terms of Calrissian’s sexuality.
“One thing that Billy did say was, be charming. He’s eclectic. He likes different things. He’s somebody who goes around and tries everything, and I just didn’t think about it that much. But I was like, he’s a charming person so I feel like he doesn’t have hard and fast boundaries about everything. But having somebody tell me that, I’m like, okay, cool, makes sense to me. Is it weird that I didn’t think about it that much?”
See Glover in action as Lando when Solo: A Star Wars Story opens on May 25th, 2018.
- Billy Dee Williams Reprising Lando Calrissian Role for Star Wars: Episode IX
- FX Renews Donald Glover's 'Atlanta' for Third Season
- Willy Wonka Remake Shortlist of Stars Includes Donald Glover and More
- Star Wars IX Casting Rumors of [SPOILER] May Not Be Rumor Thanks To 'Solo'
- Report: James Mangold Making Boba Fett Standalone Star Wars Movie
- Solo: A Star Wars Story - Lawrence Kasdan Talks Fan Criticism
- 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Has the Deepest of EU Cuts [Spoiler-Free Review]
- Solo: A Star Wars Story - Jonathan Kasdan Says Lando is Pansexual
- No, We're NOT Getting a Lando Spinoff Movie
- Thandie Newton's Star Wars Cannes Dress for 'Solo' Premiere Is Amazing
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Review - Lando Rocks, Solo's Fine, and Star Wars Lives On [Spoiler Free]