You may know Kulap Vilasyack from her show Bajillion Dollar Propertie$, or perhaps from the podcast Who Charted? You may even know her as Katharsis from DC Comics’ Prime Earth (Okay that’s not actually her, but it’s as close as it gets, as Gail Simone and Alitha Martinez based the character on her). However, in her new documentary Origin Story you’ll get to know Kulap and what shapes her.
The film follows Kulap as she sets out on a journey to meet her biological father. At 14 she discovered in a stunning way that the man who had been raising her, and who she thought was her father, was not.
It’s a raw and emotional film; independent of race, anyone with family struggles (and isn’t that all of us?) can relate to the emotional roller coaster Vilaysack has to grapple with.
Don’t get me wrong though — the film isn’t a downer. The same sense of humor that has caused Kulap’s success in the comedy world is very apparent in Origin Story. Whether she’s hanging out with husband Scott Aukerman or chatting with pals Sarah Silverman, Casey Wilson, June Diane Raphael, (who also produced the film) or Howard Kremer, Kulap weaves emotion and laughs seamlessly.
I saw the film at CAAMFest in San Francisco and had the chance to chat with Kulap afterwards. One of the unique things about Origin Story is that it highlights a group of Asians that would probably be considered a minority within the larger umbrella. We rarely get to see stories featuring Asians and Asian Americans on screen, let alone Laotians. We discussed representation and diversity (or the lack thereof) of stories of this kind, the logistical struggles of making the film, and practical advice for minorities trying to succeed in media fields.
I highly recommend checking the film out and exploring Kulap’s other work. Visit originstorydoc.com.
May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month.
- Calling All Hot Male Asian Actors: Tyra Banks Wants You for 'Life Size 2'
- Race, Comedy, and Representation with Jessica Gao of 'Whiting Wongs' and Rick and Morty
- Fresh off the Boat Renewed for Season 5
- Into the Badlands Season 3: Leopard Snares Rabbit [Spoilers]
- Can Kevin Kreider Prove Asian Men Are Attractive in 'The Ugly Model'?
- Gemma Chan Shares Images From Her First Day Filming Captain Marvel
- Sandra Oh Makes History as First Asian Nominated for Lead Actress Drama at the Emmys - July 12, 2018
- Pose on FX Gets Much-Deserved Second Season Pickup - July 12, 2018
- Boots Riley’s ‘Sorry to Bother You’ is Bizarre and Brilliant - July 6, 2018
- Lewis Tan Could Totally (and Wants to) Return as Shatterstar in X-Force - July 6, 2018
- ‘Boundaries’ and Wild Road Trips with Shana Feste and Peter Fonda - June 29, 2018