The CW’s Upfronts presentation today included a new sizzle reel (the network loves their sizzle reels) which mixed in footage from all of the returning series along with some from the new pilots, including All-American and Charmed. But with it there is narration from a good number of the network’s stars talking about how they defy negative things like judgement and are open to differences.
It’s a rather interesting socially aware message talking about the good things that happen when you are open to diversity. And the network has done a good job with diversity, having a wide mix of minority and LGBTQ characters playing lead roles in their series. Even their big announcement of Batwoman joining the Arrowvers contains diversity, as the character is lesbian.
The CW has always skewed towards a younger and more diverse audience than the other major networks, and this sizzle reel embraces that full on. In a time when the nation seems divided among party lines and isolating into like groups, it’s not only refreshing but important to see something like this. The big message they’re trying to get across, “We are open to all because that’s when anything can happen.” A pretty strong statement for a TV network.
- Agents of SHIELD Season 5, Episode 22 Recap: The End - May 19, 2018
- HBO Chooses the Cleveland Browns for the New Season of Hard Knocks - May 18, 2018
- Krypton Season 1: Decrypting Episode 9, ‘Hope’ - May 18, 2018
- Supergirl Season 3: Who is Coville’s Cult Worshiping Now? - May 18, 2018
- Agents of SHIELD Season 5: 2 Sneak Peeks at Tonight’s Season Finale - May 18, 2018