With film premieres comes red carpets and fancy dresses but Thandie Newton‘s Star Wars gown for the Cannes Film Festival premiere of Solo: A Star Wars Story is out of this world.
Zoomed out, it looks like a silk print gown with reds, yellows, and blues. In fact it’s Vivienne Westwood Couture, one of their “Absence of Rose” prints overlaid with some important galactic heroes. That’s right, those are black Star Wars characters on Thandie’s gown.
Specifically, featured on her dress are Lando Calrissian (Billy Dee Williams), Finn (John Boyega), and Saw Gurrera (Forrest Whittaker). Maybe you didn’t know, but there are few featured non-white characters in the cosmic conflict films, and this dress was Thandie’s fashionable way of pointing how few people of color there are.
— Star Wars UK (@StarWarsUK) May 15, 2018
The images of Lando, Finn and Saw are actually action figures, and there are Swarovski crystal details throughout.
Is a little history’s being made at the #hansolo #solopremiere in Cannes today?✨ Thandie wore a custom made @viviennewestwood #ecofashion dress with fabric designed by Thandie featuring all of the black male characters ever featured in the Star Wars figures photographed by @christianhogstedt, and decorated in @swarovski crystals. She is the first woman of the African diaspora to have ever had a leading role in the franchise. Bravo Thandie! So proud to have been with you today, painting your eyes with eyeshadow we created together. Thank you @erinwalshnyc @liviafirth @ecoage Hair by @sheridanwardhair KayX
Newton is the first black actress (not in an alien makeup) in a semi-leading role within the Star Wars franchise featured in posters, in commercials, with speaking lines, and name. She plays Val, a character who’s short but impactful presence in young Han Solo’s life will have lasting impressions on him.
Solo: A Star Wars Story opens in theaters on May 25th 2018.
- Billy Dee Williams Reprising Lando Calrissian Role for Star Wars: Episode IX
- Donald Glover on Lando's Orientation: "How Can You Not Be Pansexual in Space?"
- 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Has the Deepest of EU Cuts [Spoiler-Free Review]
- Black Milk Clothing Re-Releases Its Magical Labyrinth Collection
- No, We're NOT Getting a Lando Spinoff Movie
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Review - Lando Rocks, Solo's Fine, and Star Wars Lives On [Spoiler Free]
- Let's Talk About Westworld Season 2 Episode 4, "The Riddle of the Sphinx"
- A Bunch of New Solo: A Star Wars Story Character Posters Just Dropped
- Let's Talk About Westworld Season 2 Premiere, "Journey Into Night"
- New Solo: A Star Wars Story Character Bios
- Emily Blunt, John Krasinski: Hollywood Romance Is NOT Dead - December 18, 2018
- Golden Globes to Honor Jeff Bridges with Cecil B. deMille Award - December 18, 2018
- Season 2 Teases in New ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Featurette - December 17, 2018
- Terry Gilliam’s ‘The Man Who Killed Don Quixote’ WILL Release in North America! - December 17, 2018
- James Wan Not Part of ‘Resident Evil’ Reboot - December 17, 2018