Does anyone remember when you weren’t sick of zombie movies or zombie jokes? It seems like it was a long ago and it turns out that it actually was. The zombie craze was hitting peak volume ten years ago when Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick penned a little movie called Zombieland in 2009. The movie featured some big up and coming stars, at the time, like Emma Stone long before her Oscar win and Jessie Eisenberg the year before The Social Network. The cast and crew have always said they wanted to do a sequel but no one has really talked about it for several years. Since then the zombie craze has died down quite a bit in the last ten years but Reese and Wernick told Vulture that they’re hoping for a October 2019 release with the original cast.
“We’re going on the tenth anniversary of Zombieland,” Wernick tells Vulture. “Zombieland came out October of 2009. We don’t know what you get someone for their tenth anniversary, but it may be a Zombieland 2.” Though he hedged with that “may be,” it seems like it’s not so far from a “will be.” “The hope is that we’re shooting that thing early 2019 for an October of ’19 release,” Wernick added — then tossed in even more good news for devotees: “With the original cast, by the way.”
The original cast has some big names in it now which means they’re looking at a much bigger budget to meet those demands. Then again maybe everyone just wants to do the movie again. The writing duo wouldn’t share anymore details about the project but if they really are shooting for an early 2019 start date for filming we can expect to hear more as the year comes to an end. The question comes if the audience still cares after ten years.
- First Look at Eiza Gonzalez in Hobbs and Shaw - December 18, 2018
- Todd Phillips Confirms That the Joker Movie Has Wrapped Production - December 18, 2018
- Sherlock Holmes Adaptation ‘Elementary’ to End After 7 Seasons - December 17, 2018
- Utah Film Critics Association Votes Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse the Best Picture of 2018 - December 17, 2018
- [SPOILERS] Phil Lord and Chris Miller Talk That Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Post-Credits Scene - December 17, 2018