While Deadpool was an incredibly accurate take on the character, there were a few things that were left out. One of the big ones is the fact that Deadpool, in the comics, is not straight. He’s what is known as pansexual, which means that Deadpool is a man attracted to people as individuals and not just one specific gender identity or sexuality. During the U.K. Press Conference star Ryan Reynolds was asked if this aspect of the character was going to be explored in the movie or in future movies.
“Oh, that’s a good question.” Reynolds said. “I think Deadpool’s sort of somewhat fluid, you know? Deadpool’s a guy that…There’s a lot of room in that. He’s in love with Vanessa. Vanessa’s the love of his life and that’s a key part of our story, and it’s the bedrock of everything that happens to Deadpool. But you see that he sort of exhibits these qualities throughout the course of each film. He’s a guy that’s sort of unpredictable and, like I said, he’s a little bit fluid, I think.”
There is a scene that’s played a bit for laughs that kind of addresses it, but no one says the word exactly. It’s a step in the right direction, but not quite the full representation that would make a difference to pansexual-identified individuals.
Summary(?): After surviving a near fatal bovine attack, a disfigured cafeteria chef (Wade Wilson) struggles to fulfill his dream of becoming Mayberry’s hottest bartender while also learning to cope with his lost sense of taste. Searching to regain his spice for life, as well as a flux capacitor, Wade must battle ninjas, the yakuza, and a pack of sexually aggressive canines, as he journeys around the world to discover the importance of family, friendship, and flavor – finding a new taste for adventure and earning the coveted coffee mug title of World’s Best Lover.
Deadpool 2, directed by David Leitch, stars Ryan Reynolds, Morena Baccarin, T.J. Miller, Josh Brolin, Brianna Hildebrand, and Zazie Beetz. It will be released on May 18th.
- How Peter, Our Favorite Member of Deadpool 2's X-Force, Came to Be
- Deadpool 2 Review: Your Friend With Benefits Who Does That Thing You Like
- Maleficent 2 Adds Actress Jenn Murray to the Cast - May 20, 2018
- Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool 2 Is How You Do LGBTQ+ Representation Right [Spoilers] - May 20, 2018
- Ryan Reynolds Talks About Introducing Cable in Deadpool 2 - May 20, 2018
- Phoebe Waller-Bridge Didn’t Know What a Droid Was When She Auditioned for Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 20, 2018
- Solo: A Star Wars Story – Lawrence Kasdan Talks Fan Criticism - May 20, 2018