Comic book creator Glen Cadigan writes to Bleeding Cool,
A long time ago, I wrote a story called “One of Those Days” and submitted it to Mark Waid when he was the editor of Cthulhu Tales for Boom! Studios. It appeared in issue six, and was then reprinted in a TPB and later on, an Omnibus. It was actually my first comic book sale, so I remember the experience well!
Years later, Swedish director Ivan Radovic found it, read it, loved it, and decided to turn it into a movie. He emailed Boom! but didn’t get a response. Then he reached out to me on Twitter, and I did the only thing I could think of to do — I emailed Mark and asked him if there was anything he could do to let the people at Boom! know about this.
He said sure, and to get back to him in a week. I did, and I don’t know what he did on his end, but almost right away Ivan heard back from Boom! and they struck out a deal.
That was a few years ago now. It took a while to make the movie, and it’s spent the last year touring the world at over 30 film festivals in fourteen countries on four continents. Its general release was this week.
I don’t believe that it would exist unless Mark Waid played an active role behind the scenes to help a guy out. So not only did he buy the original story, but without his help, it’s doubtful the movie would exist, either. Also, Mark was no longer at Boom! by this point, so there was really nothing in it for him. He was just doing a good deed.
And while it’s not The Avengers, Eldritch Code is a comic book adaptation, and it’s free.
- Lying In The Gutters – 23rd September 2018 – What’s The Story, Morning Glory? - September 23, 2018
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, 23rd September 2018 – - September 23, 2018
- Roger Langridge Continues to Draw The Muppets as Babylon 5 at Thought Bubble - September 23, 2018
- Daily LITG – 23rd September 2018 – Still Bubblin’ - September 23, 2018
- Dave Elliott Teases GWNN Ahead of New York Comic-Con, at Thought Bubble 2018 - September 22, 2018