Last week, Bleeding Cool told you that DC Comics were making the entire run of the Man Of Steel weekly mini-series by Brian Bendis and selected artists returnable for retailers, if said retailers upped their orders considerably.
At the time, Bleeding Cool pointed out that this may avoid DC Comics having announce the comics were returnable at a later date. For example, if they hold off revealing that the chosen and heavily promoted A-List artists for each issue may not have been given enough time to finish the comic in question and DC have had to give pages to others artists to meet deadlines.
We also pointed out how DC editorial types had been running a book on how many pages those will be for each issue.
However, I have been tipped off by DC editorial sources that the numbers that DC Comics received were a lot lower than expected. A lot lower. Less than you might expect for a new Superman title relaunching the character with A-List talent and spinning out of Action Comics #1001 and DC Nation #0 and more like – well, a newly launching Brian Bendis title at Marvel, without the tiered variants.
And out of the top ten as a result.
The announced returnability was an attempt to save face by upping their numbers – as was a larger-than-usual internal order of copies of Man Of Steel #1 for the summer convention circuit. Add it all up and you might get 100,000 orders. But remember, Diamond will report those Man Of Steel numbers at 10% down because they are returnable…
But expect Justice League #1 by Scott Snyder and Jim Cheung to have done better. And any issue of Batman by Tom King. And probably Doomsday Clock by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank while you’re at it.
Still, you know, Ultimate Spider-Man started off with low orders and look what happened to that.
- Preview: Heroes in Crisis #1 by Tom King, Clay Mann, and Mitch Gerads - July 20, 2018
- What Happens at the Skybound Afterparty Stays at the Skybound Afterparty - July 20, 2018
- A New Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog Story by Joss Whedon for 10th Anniversary - July 20, 2018
- Riri Williams: Ironheart Movie in the Works from Marvel Studios, to Replace Iron Man? - July 20, 2018
- Caleb Goellner and Adam Bryce Thomas Create a Team Sonic Racing Comic - July 20, 2018