Monty Python member Terry Gilliam has reportedly suffered a stroke, but is currently at home after being released from the hospital. The report comes from a French newspaper (which google translate hasn’t done the best job of).
Filmmaker Gilliam has been waiting to complete his 20 year plus film odyssey The Man Who Killed Don Quixote for…..well, 20+ years. The finish line is in site, with the Paris District Court announcing on whether or not the film can screen at Cannes on May 19th. Gilliam was expected to appear, but for obvious reasons, was unable to.
Former Quixote producer Paulo Branco, who’s claimed ownership of the film’s rights since 2016, had filed to prevent the film from screening during the festival on the closing night. While the French court has previously sided with Branco on other matters, Cannes did release a statement in support of Gilliam.
And as I was in the process of reporting on this, it looks like Amazon has pulled their distribution for the film, as they are no longer handling the US release. At least according to IndieWire, who claim an inside source with the knowledge.
The current information about Gilliam’s condition limited, we do understand that he is home, “resting”. The decision as to whether or not the film will be allowed to screen will happen sometime on Wednesday. And it’s unlikely the 77 year old filmmaker will be well enough to travel if the jury rules on his side to see his long-fought for film screened.
There is now a statement from Gilliam’s camp, which states: “Whilst we don’t comment on personal health matters, we can confirm that Terry Gilliam is currently at home preparing for his trip to Cannes next week in support of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.”
This comes after Cannes announced that they WILL allow the film to screen during their Film Festival, so we’re assuming the French Court ruled in Gilliam’s favor. The official ruling will not be made available to the public until this afternoon.
Terry has posted this on his facebook, he looks pretty good:
In a new article from Deadline, the outlet says they’ve spoken to exec producer Jeremy Thomas, who said that Gilliam was “taken ill over the weekend, in part due to the stress around the movie, but he is now recovering well in London and will be in Cannes for the film’s premiere on Saturday”.
At last, the quest is nearing completion.
- Apple Closing Deal for TV Rights to 'Time Bandits', Plans for Series
- What's Going on with Terry Gilliam's 'The Man Who Killed Don Quixote' Now?
- At Long Last, Terry Gilliam Has Screened "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote"
- Terry Gilliam Says He Didn't Have a Stroke, It Was a Perforated Artery
- Updates on Terry Gilliam, Cannes Decision, and More
- New Era and Lids Now Selling Color Prism Hats, and They Rock
- MLB Morning Trip Around The Bases: No-Hitters, Yankees-Red Sox, and More!
- Monty Python's 'Spamalot' Movie Gets Script by Eric Idle, FOX Names Casey Nicholaw Director
- Watch: Trailer for Terry Gilliam's 'The Man Who Killed Don Quixote'
- Netflix Has the Entire Monty Python Catalogue, Will Launch Later This Year
- 17 Years Into The Quest, Monty Python's Terry Gilliam Has Wrapped Production On Don Quixote
- The Man Who Killed Don Quixote To Shoot In October; Cast Announced
- Terry Gilliam Finds Funds For The Man Who Killed Don Quixote; Filming To Begin In September
- Season 7 Will be the Last for ‘Orange is the New Black’ - October 17, 2018
- 9 Photos from ‘Outlander’ Season 4 Have Jamie, Claire, and More - October 17, 2018
- New Teaser for ‘Vikings’ Season 5b Brings the Blood and Chaos - October 17, 2018
- Chris Hemsworth has Wrapped Filming on ‘Men In Black’ - October 17, 2018
- Edna Mode’s “Designing Fabulous” Featurette from ‘Incredibles 2’ DVD - October 17, 2018