Eugenio Derbez is a superstar in Mexico; he’s a king of comedy there. He has been breaking his way into the US and international markets for a while with films like How to Be a Latin Lover, Instructions Not Included, and Geostorm. His latest attempt is with Overboard the gender-flipped remake of the 1987 Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell film.
He stars as Leonardo, a billionaire playboy who enjoys cavorting around on his fancy yacht. Anna Faris costars as Kate, a single mother of three who is hired to clean the boat. Leonardo is less than polite to her. She gets her opportunity at revenge later when he falls off the boat and washes up in her town with amnesia. In order to have an extra set of hands around the house (and dole out a little bit of karma), she tries to convince him that he’s her husband.
Derbez is charming and incredibly kind in person. His charm is the most endearing part of the film as well. The film does suffer from some questionable moments — though the original is far from perfect as well, since it’s Hawn’s character who has amnesia and Russell’s who convinces her they’re in a relationship… Can you say consent?
My favorite part of our interview was to learn that Eugenio hadn’t met Goldie Hawn yet. I guess they didn’t ask for her or Kurt’s blessing before making the film…
Overboard is in theaters now, and stars Eugenio Derbez, Anna Faris, Eva Longoria, Mel Rodriguez, and Swoosie Kurtz.
- MLB Games You Should Watch on Saturday, May 5
- Inside The Disney Live Panel At D23, Part 1: 'A Wrinkle In Time' And 'Nutcracker'
- Speedy Gonzales Races For Origin Tale Film
- We Interview ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ on Family, Representation, and Why Now is the Moment - August 13, 2018
- Chatting with ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Exec Producer Trinh Tran - August 11, 2018
- Avengers: Infinity War – A Brief Overview of 4K Blu-Ray Special Features - August 11, 2018
- We Catch Up with the Voices of The Venture Bros. Season 7 – SDCC - August 5, 2018
- George Takei is Taking Over Your Phone (With Content) - August 3, 2018