The television landscape has changed dramatically in the 25 years since Conan O’Brien began his late-night hosting career with NBC’s Late Night with Conan O’Brien, and now the writer/comedian is hoping that less really is more. TBS confirmed on Thursday that late-night talk show Conan will move to 30-minute installments beginning in 2019. While the new format is being described as “less structured,” the episodes will still feature a variety of guests and comedy sketches — based both inside and outside the studio.
Originally premiering on TBS in 2010, Conan will continue to air on the network Monday through Thursday. O’Brien is currently the longest-tenured host in late-night television, and this to say about the change in a released statement:
“Since I inherited my Late Night show in 1993, TV has changed exponentially. I’d like to think I have evolved with many of these changes, but now it’s time to take the next leap. A half-hour show will give me the time to do a higher percentage of the comedy in, and out, of the studio that I love and that seems to resonate in this new digital world. It’s still going to be me hosting a very silly show, but I want segments on my half-hour program to link to digital content, deepening the experience for my younger fans, and confusing my older ones.”
In conjunction with the announcment, it was also announced that O’Brien will be headlining a comedy tour later this year as part of Team Coco’s expanded partnership with the network. The multi-city tour will also feature a team of comics under the Team Coco umbrella. The show will also continue to expand its Conan Without Borders travel specials, which feature O’Brien hosting the show all over the globe. In previous editions, the show has filmed in countries such as Cuba, Italy, and Israel. Team Coco will also make O’Brien’s Late Night episodes available digitally.
Bleeding Cool reached out to the late-night host via Twitter for a response regarding the show’s continued San Diego Comic-Con coverage, but did not receive a response at the time of the article’s posting.
- Albert Pujols Becomes The 32nd Player With 3,000 Hits
- Watch Conan O'Brien and Bill Hader Take on God Of War
- Star Wars The Black Series Admiral Piett Up for Order Now
- MLB Games You Should Watch on Friday, May 4
- Funko Round-Up: Squirrel Girl, Gargoyles, and Black Phillip!
- The Twelve Days of ‘Sunny’: Season 4, Episode 13 ‘The Nightman Cometh’ (Day #4) - December 16, 2018
- American Gods: Holy Binge Watching! Starz Offers Season 1 Live-Tweet Marathon - December 15, 2018
- Adult Swim’s Toonami Shifts Line-Up, Start Time in January 2019 - December 15, 2018
- The Twelve Days of ‘Sunny’: Season 3, Episode 9 ‘Sweet Dee’s Dating a Retarded Person’ (Day #3) - December 15, 2018
- Apple Lands Rights to New Peanuts Content – So Snoopy’s An iPhone User Now? - December 14, 2018