It’s no secret that Marvel Studios directors like to hide Easter eggs in their films, and The Russo Brothers aren’t immune to such nods to previous work. In their record-breaking best opening weekend of all time film Avengers: Infinity War, there is a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it nod to their television past.
If you haven’t seen Infinity War yet, you may not want to keep reading, as there will be some SPOILER-type things mentioned here.
Once upon a time ago, the Russo Brothers Anthony and Joe directed several episodes of a little FOX comedy series called Arrested Development. Perhaps you’ll recall the first episode of season 2, ‘The One Where Michael Leaves’.
Actor David Cross‘s character Tobias Funke decides to join the Blue Man Group as an understudy, and general hilarity ensues. Turns out, there is an ode to Tobias’s blue past in Infinity War, namely a split-second glimpse of a bald, mustached man wearing glasses in the background during a visit back to Knowhere.
Cross has now come forward to say the directors tried a number of times get him to don the blue again (he really hated the paint) for the Easter egg. In a brief call with The Hollywood Reporter, Cross spoke about getting the call from the Russo Brothers to be in Infinity War:
“They had called me when they were shooing the movie. I was actually in London working on a different show, except I was directing, so there’s no way I could get over there. But they certainly didn’t take no for an answer. They called and emailed multiple times. They even offered to send a plane. I certainly appreciate their trying, and of course I would have done it under any other circumstance, and that is saying a lot because it meant I would have had to shave.”
So there you have it, an Arrested Development Easter egg in Avengers: Infinity War. Did you catch the moment in theaters, or did it not register?
- Netflix Splitting Arrested Development Season 5 In Two Parts
- Gwyneth Paltrow, Droppin' Tony and Pepper Avengers: 4 Spoilers in an Interview
- They Did It – Avengers: Infinity War Hits $1 Billion in Record Time
- Iron Man 10 Years Later: Ole Shellhead's Top 10 Action Figures!
- New Trailer Hits for the 20th MCU Film, Ant-Man and the Wasp
- James Gunn Reveals Name of [Spoiler, Also Spoiler] in Avengers: Infinity War
- Kevin Feige Says Marvel Makes Movies "We Believe In", Russo Brothers Call It "Grand Narrative Experiment"
- James Gunn Suggested *That* Introductory Song in Avengers: Infinity War, Because of Course He Did
- Real Talk- Is Chris Evans Coming Back After 'Avengers 4'?
- ‘Halloween’ 2018: Jamie Lee Curtis Rightfully Gets to Boast - October 22, 2018
- ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ will Premiere at Wembley in London - October 22, 2018
- Warner Bros. Shifts ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ to 2020 - October 22, 2018
- Let’s Talk About ‘The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell’ - October 22, 2018
- Netflix Orders Second Season of Animated Series ‘Disenchantment’ - October 22, 2018