So I ended up seeing Avengers: Infinity War twice. And there’s something that’s been niggling me since that I may have missed on first viewing.
There’s plenty of consensus that the in-story reason that Doctor Strange gave the Time Stone to Thanos in exchange for Tony Stark’s life, which also enabled him to turn back time and recreate the Mind Stone to have the full Infinity Stone set, is that this will be the only way to ultimately defeat him. Possibly, through his own self-doubt, possibly courtesy of Gamora who is residing in the Soul Stone. But foreseen by Doctor Strange.
But was there another way outside of the millions of versions of the future that Strange saw?
One in which Doctor Strange sits on Star-Lord after everyone has grabbed Thanos, and stops him from a) being such a dick, b) hitting Thanos, c) removing Mantis’ influence and d) stopping Thanos grabbing the Infinite Gauntlet back from Spider-Man who had just that second removed it from him?
Wouldn’t that have also have saved the day?
Not necessarily. Because in that reality, Iron Man put on the Infinity Gauntlet to keep it safe, recreated reality to reflect his dreams, has that kid with Pepper, who turns out to be the new Hitler who snatches it back from Tony Stark on his 18th birthday. Or sooner.
Or Tony turned everyone in the universe into a leggy blonde.
Either way, it wasn’t one of the realities that Doctor Strange would countenance…
- Forty Minutes of Alita: Battle Angel to be IMAX-Sized - December 11, 2018
- Is There a Post-Credit Scene in Aquaman? (No Spoilers) - December 11, 2018
- Aquaman Review: A Superhero Movie Without Any Depth [Spoiler Free, Ish] - December 11, 2018
- Jean-Marc Lofficier’s Writer’s Commentary on the Barbarella Holiday Special - December 11, 2018
- Everything You Knew About ‘Spider-Man No More’ Was Wrong Too - December 11, 2018