Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige doesn’t want the future of the MCU to rest on laurels. Just this morning, Avengers: Infinity War broke the box office record for biggest domestic ($250 mil) and worldwide ($630 mil) opening weekend, knocking Star Wars: The Force Awakes off their number one spot. The Marvel Cinematic Universe has crossed $ 15.39 billion in it’s 10-year history, passing Star Wars at $ 9.1 billion. That’s freaking crazy, when you think how far the franchise has come since the Iron Man days.
“It was in the cutting rooms of Iron Man 1 that in a lot of ways the Marvel Studios process was born — of just keep trying things and keep turning things over and don’t rest on your laurels and just because something is working doesn’t mean it can’t work better,” Feige said in a recent interview with The AP.
Joe Russo (co-director of Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War and the still-untitled Avengers: 4 along with his brother Anthony Russo) said of the MCU:
“I think you can look at Marvel as a grand narrative experiment. Never before in films have we seen this many franchises combined over this many years into one giant mosaic. Two-hour, two-dimensional storytelling has dominated American culture for 100 years and now we’re consuming content with such extreme speed that we need new forms of storytelling. I think what Marvel is doing is a new form of storytelling.”
“We make movies we believe in. We make movies that we think will be entertaining to ourselves and think about ourselves as the first audience members for any movie we make. Any idea that comes up in a room: Would we be entertained by this? Would we be moved by this? Would we be surprised by this?
It goes back to the movies I loved growing up. I always loved sequels. I never found myself being cynical or dismissive of sequels. If they were bad, I was disappointed. But I always loved the promise of seeing the further storylines or further adventures of characters I’d grown to love. That’s all we’re doing.”
We think that love really shows.
Avengers: Infinity War is currently in theaters now, shattering records and fans’ hearts.
- Gwyneth Paltrow, Droppin' Tony and Pepper Avengers: 4 Spoilers in an Interview
- Kevin Feige Says Captain Marvel Is the Most Powerful Superhero the MCU Has Ever Introduced
- 'Iron Man' 10 Years Later- Bleeding Cool Looks Back at First MCU Film
- About That Avengers: Infinity War Russo Brothers [SPOILER] Easter Egg
- James Gunn Reveals Name of [Spoiler, Also Spoiler] in Avengers: Infinity War
- Marvel Legends Infinity War Three Pack Exclusive Is Great...If You Can Find It
- Warren Ellis Weighs in on Avengers: Infinity War, Spoiler Free
- Let's Take a Look at The Disney Store Exclusive Marvel Select Thanos
- Real Ghostbusters Invade The Playmobil Ghostbusters Line!
- Real Talk- Is Chris Evans Coming Back After 'Avengers 4'?
- Fox-Owned Marvel Characters Will Not Appear in MCU til Long After Fox Deal Is Done, Kevin Feige Says
- Withholding 'Avengers 4' Title Backfired, Kevin Feige Says
- Kevin Feige Confirms 'Eternals' Film is Being Actively Developed
- Things We Learned From 'Thor: Ragnarok' Special Features
- Part 5: Kevin Feige on Everything MCU in New Entertainment Weekly
- Part 4: Kevin Feige on Everything MCU in New Entertainment Weekly
- Part 3: Kevin Feige on Everything MCU in New Entertainment Weekly
- Part 2: Kevin Feige on Everything MCU in New Entertainment Weekly
- Part 1: Kevin Feige on Everything MCU in New Entertainment Weekly
- The Best Viewing Order of the MCU Ahead of Avengers: Infinity War
- Star Wars IX Casting Rumors of [SPOILER] May Not Be Rumor Thanks To ‘Solo’ - May 26, 2018
- The Expanse Picked Up by Amazon Studios for 4th Season - May 26, 2018
- The Toys That Made Us Season 2, Episode 1 Talks Star Trek - May 25, 2018
- Bidding War Ends- Bond 25 Lands at Universal Pictures - May 24, 2018
- Report: James Mangold Making Boba Fett Standalone Star Wars Movie - May 24, 2018