During Paramount’s block of time at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, the gathered crowd was treated (or subjected, however you want to look at it) to the first footage from their upcoming Transformers spin-off, Bumblebee.
On the run in the year 1987, Bumblebee finds refuge in a junkyard in a small California beach town. Charlie, on the cusp of turning 18 and trying to find her place in the world, discovers Bumblebee, battle-scarred and broken.
Sort of a girl and her dog, but the dog is a robot. Hailee Steinfeld plays Charlie, John Cena is on board as the mysterious Agent Burns, while Peter Cullen returns to voice Optimus Prime.
Director Travis Knight may not have much in the way of feature films (his only previous directorial credit is on the animated feature Kubo And The Two Strings, so that’s impressive nonetheless) but we’re certainly curious to see what he brings to the franchise.
Knight said he wanted to make the film “like a Goonies, ET type adventure,” classic early Amblin titles. He went on to say this is a “more intimate and personal coming of age story. I wanted to return to the essence of what made the Transformers series so impactful: character, story and explosions”
Steinfeld says Bumblebee will “go back in time and show where the character came from”. She also called the film an “incredible experience”, and that the relationship between ‘Bee and Charlie being authentic.
Lots of folks on twitter comparing the footage, which showed Steinfeld first meeting the yellow VW bug reminiscent of The Iron Giant, which is probably the bestest thing they could say to make me want to watch another Transformers movie.
We’re still hoping for a public trailer drop, we’ll let you know as soon as it does. Bumblebee is expected to hit theaters on December 21st 2018.
- Avengers: Infinity War Review – The Epic We All Wanted [Spoiler-Free]
- MLB Games You Should Watch on Thursday, April 26
- Let's Take a Look at Some Jurassic World Figures! Part 1: Humans
- Thanos Collectors Will Want to Pick up the Hot Toys Cosbaby Figure
- CinemaCon2018- Tons of Collectibles From Solo, Incredibles, Infinity War, Coming To Theaters This Summer
- JJ Abrams Updates From Paramount's Panel at CinemaCon- Cloverfield and More
- 'The Basis Of Sex' Star Felicity Jones Compares Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Rocky Balboa
- Universal Shows 'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' Opening Scene During #CinemaCon
- Halloween Details Emerge from CinemaCon 2018 Universal Presentation
- Disney Lays out Movie Release Slate, Confirms Some Things at CinemaCon
- WB Shows Sizzle Reel Featuring Aquaman Footage at CinemaCon
- Batgirl Officially Has a New Writer in Bumblebee's Christina Hodson
- John Cena Talks About the "Movie Magic" of Bumblebee
- Transformers: The Original Animated Series Soundtrack Hits Vinyl Today!
- "Don't Believe What You Hear" About Cinematic Universe Reboot, Says Transformers Brand Manager
- The Transformers Cinematic Universe is Reportedly Set for Reboot After Bumblebee
- Let’s Talk About ‘The Americans’ Season 6 Episode 9 “Jennings, Elizabeth” - May 23, 2018
- Let’s Talk About Legion Season 2 Episode 8, “Chapter 16” - May 23, 2018
- THAT Westworld Season 2, Episode 5 Twist: Evan Rachel Wood “Could Not Stop Crying” - May 23, 2018
- George R. R. Martin’s ‘The Ice Dragon’ Getting WB Animated Feature - May 23, 2018
- Imagine Dragons Frontman Dan Reynolds’s LGBTQ+ Youth HBO Documentary ‘Believer’ Gets First Trailer - May 23, 2018