Netflix original drama series The Crown came under fire last month when it was revealed that series star Claire Foy had received less pay than her co-star, Matt Smith. The entire situation spiraled out of control because of course, the internet, but there was obviously an underlying reason and issue.
Smith came to the series as arguably a commodity in his own right from his time on Doctor Who. Foy, while no less talented (in fact she’s won more awards for her roles than Smith has now), was paid less even though she was the star of the show, where she plays Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
This information coming out when it did of course was met with a certain level of outrage that while maybe uncalled for in the situation, brought the facts to light.
During an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Smith commented:
“Claire is one of my best friends, and I believe that we should be paid equally and fairly and there should be equality for all. I support her completely, and I’m pleased that it was resolved and they made amends for it, because that what’s needed to happen. Going forward, I think we should all bear in mind that we need to strive to make this better and a more even playing field for everyone involved — but not just in our industry, in all industries.”
Both Foy and Smith aren’t returning for the 3rd season of the Netflix series, but that’s by design. Series creator creator Peter Morgan says the aging up of the cast has long been planned out for the series, and in his mind, makes ‘sense’ for the furthering of the true-to-life (ish) story of the British Royal Family by replacing the cast who played the parts in their younger days for a more mature actor.
- First Look at Tobias Menzies as Prince Philip from 'The Crown'
- How About 'The Crown', But Reimagined as a Cop Show?
- First Image of Olivia Coleman from Netflix's The Crown Season 3
- Claire Foy Talks a Different Lisbeth Salander for 'Girl in the Spider's Web'
- Erin Doherty Joins 'The Crown' Season 3 as Princess Anne
- New Era 2018 NFL Draft Hats Available Now, Not the Greatest Ever
- Darkseid Has Come To Rule Over The Mezco One:12 Collective Line
- A Bunch of New Solo: A Star Wars Story Character Posters Just Dropped
- Tobias Menzies Takes Over Prince Philip From Matt Smith for 'The Crown' S3
- Matt Smith Goes from Playing Prince Philip to Charles Manson
- Netflix's The Crown Might Have Paul Bettany in Their Vision for Season 3
- The Crown Season 3 Casts Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret
- Let's Talk About the 2018 Golden Globes: Predictions in Major Categories
- The Crown Season 2: New Trailer Brings Winds Of Change
- Dame Judi Dench Joins Idris Elba in ‘Cats’ Feature Film - October 18, 2018
- Jon Favreau Shares Photo of His ‘Lion King’ Production - October 18, 2018
- Tony Awards Announce Broadcast Date, and Venue for 2019 - October 18, 2018
- ‘Wheel of Time’ Showrunner Asks What Fans What They Want in Series - October 18, 2018
- Yes, Really: NASA Just Gave Godzilla His Own Constellation - October 18, 2018