Marvel Comics has been creating what are known as “virgin variant” covers, in which titles, logos, numbers — anything but the art is removed. And usually selling them as part of a tiered cover, or as a retailer exclusive cover.
It hasn’t been a DC Comics thing, but it is about to come close. All of the standard variant covers that run on the ongoing series are to have their trade dress dramatically reduced. Here are a couple of examples, from the first week of May.
No title, credits along the bottom, and a thin UPC box with price, issue numbers and the rest. It emphasises the artwork above all other considerations.
These variant covers are on sale May 2nd, just before Free Comic Book Day. Some of the first of such will be the ones below… no Stanley “Artgerm” Lau yet, but that will come…
- BATMAN #46
- CYBORG #22
- DEATHSTROKE #31
- EXIT STAGE LEFT: THE SNAGGLEPUSS CHRONICLES #5
- GREEN ARROW #40
- GREEN LANTERNS #46
- HARLEY LOVES JOKER #1
- NIGHTWING #44
And as Aaron Haaland of A Comic Shop in Orlando, Florida will tell you, no, no one told them that this was coming for today’s Batman #45…
- Comixology Bestseller List – Justice, No Justice - May 25, 2018
- Champions, Black Panther, and Mystery of Madripoor Go to Second Prints for Marvel Comics - May 25, 2018
- Antarctic Press Seeks Superhero Submissions for the Superverse - May 25, 2018
- Golden Apple Comics Is Now in Diamond Previews: Adventure Van and Blastosaurus - May 25, 2018
- J. Scott Campbell Covers to X-Classified #1 Cancelled - May 25, 2018