Marvel Comics has been creating what are known as “virgin variant” covers, in which titles, logos, numbers — anything but the art is removed. And usually selling them as part of a tiered cover, or as a retailer exclusive cover.
It hasn’t been a DC Comics thing, but it is about to come close. All of the standard variant covers that run on the ongoing series are to have their trade dress dramatically reduced. Here are a couple of examples, from the first week of May.
No title, credits along the bottom, and a thin UPC box with price, issue numbers and the rest. It emphasises the artwork above all other considerations.
These variant covers are on sale May 2nd, just before Free Comic Book Day. Some of the first of such will be the ones below… no Stanley “Artgerm” Lau yet, but that will come…
- BATMAN #46
- CYBORG #22
- DEATHSTROKE #31
- EXIT STAGE LEFT: THE SNAGGLEPUSS CHRONICLES #5
- GREEN ARROW #40
- GREEN LANTERNS #46
- HARLEY LOVES JOKER #1
- NIGHTWING #44
And as Aaron Haaland of A Comic Shop in Orlando, Florida will tell you, no, no one told them that this was coming for today’s Batman #45…
- Aspen Relaunches No World in November 2018 Solicits - August 14, 2018
- Zenescope Launches Comics Festival for Its Biggest Fans – or at Least Those with $99 Memberships - August 14, 2018
- Marvel Comics Put the Fantastic Four #1 Spoiler on the Second Printing Front Cover - August 14, 2018
- Lisa Bloom to Represent #MeToo Allegations Against IDW’s President and Publisher - August 14, 2018
- Marvel May Act Against CryptoCurrency Wacoinda - August 14, 2018