Marvel Comics has been creating what are known as “virgin variant” covers, in which titles, logos, numbers — anything but the art is removed. And usually selling them as part of a tiered cover, or as a retailer exclusive cover.
It hasn’t been a DC Comics thing, but it is about to come close. All of the standard variant covers that run on the ongoing series are to have their trade dress dramatically reduced. Here are a couple of examples, from the first week of May.
No title, credits along the bottom, and a thin UPC box with price, issue numbers and the rest. It emphasises the artwork above all other considerations.
These variant covers are on sale May 2nd, just before Free Comic Book Day. Some of the first of such will be the ones below… no Stanley “Artgerm” Lau yet, but that will come…
- BATMAN #46
- CYBORG #22
- DEATHSTROKE #31
- EXIT STAGE LEFT: THE SNAGGLEPUSS CHRONICLES #5
- GREEN ARROW #40
- GREEN LANTERNS #46
- HARLEY LOVES JOKER #1
- NIGHTWING #44
And as Aaron Haaland of A Comic Shop in Orlando, Florida will tell you, no, no one told them that this was coming for today’s Batman #45…
- The Writer of Invictus Pens Graphic Novel, Mandela and the General - October 15, 2018
- Olivia Olson’s Marcy & Simon #1 Kicks Off Official Canon Continuation of Adventure Time in January - October 15, 2018
- The Future of Black Label at DC Comics – It’s All Stephen Colbert’s Fault? - October 15, 2018
- Three Competitive Creative Teams for Wonder Woman? - October 15, 2018
- David F Walker… Not Writing Flash for DC Comics - October 15, 2018