Marvel Comics has been creating what are known as “virgin variant” covers, in which titles, logos, numbers — anything but the art is removed. And usually selling them as part of a tiered cover, or as a retailer exclusive cover.
It hasn’t been a DC Comics thing, but it is about to come close. All of the standard variant covers that run on the ongoing series are to have their trade dress dramatically reduced. Here are a couple of examples, from the first week of May.
No title, credits along the bottom, and a thin UPC box with price, issue numbers and the rest. It emphasises the artwork above all other considerations.
These variant covers are on sale May 2nd, just before Free Comic Book Day. Some of the first of such will be the ones below… no Stanley “Artgerm” Lau yet, but that will come…
- BATMAN #46
- CYBORG #22
- DEATHSTROKE #31
- EXIT STAGE LEFT: THE SNAGGLEPUSS CHRONICLES #5
- GREEN ARROW #40
- GREEN LANTERNS #46
- HARLEY LOVES JOKER #1
- NIGHTWING #44
And as Aaron Haaland of A Comic Shop in Orlando, Florida will tell you, no, no one told them that this was coming for today’s Batman #45…
- Kraven The Hunter Returns in March’s Amazing Spider-Man - December 14, 2018
- Now DC Comics Makes Border Town Back Issues Returnable - December 14, 2018
- Comixology Bestseller List, 14th December 2019 – An Annual Surprise - December 14, 2018
- Cambridge Analytica, the Sequel, in Drone Range of Parliament - December 14, 2018
- The Comic Shop Opens in Crawley, England, in Three Days Time - December 14, 2018