The Netflix news machine keeps rolling along with our first official images from Maniac, the streaming service’s new 10-episode half-hour comedy series from director Cary Fukunaga (Beasts of No Nation, True Detective). Based on the original 2014 Norwegian series (which you can see the trailer for below), Maniac focuses on two strangers who find themselves caught up in a mind-bending pharmaceutical trial gone awry.
Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street) and Emma Stone (La-La Land) are two strangers who meet in very unexpected ways. Fukunaga directed the first season from a script by Patrick Somerville (The Leftovers); and will serve as series executive producer with Stone and Hill. Sally Field; Sonoya Mizuno (Dr. Fujita); Aaralyn Anderson (Belle Milgrim); Geoffrey Cantor (Frank); Julia Garner (Ellie); Josh Pais (Andy); Justin Theroux (James Mantleray); Jemima Kirke and Rob Yang (Matt Ming) will be joining Hill and Stone on the series.
Production on Maniac began in August 2017, with principal photography wrapping by the end of the year. Michael Sugar and Doug Wald of Anonymous Content; Kruke Kristiansen and Anne Kolbjornsen; Espen PA Lervaag and Kjetil Indegard; and Ashley Zalta will also serve as executive producers.
Here’s a look at a trailer from the original Maniac, along with TV2’s synopsis of the series’ first episode:
The patient, Espen, has apparently withdrawn from reality and the newly appointed psychologist Mina becomes curious about Espen. He is interested in the new woman who appears in his life and decides to pull her into her own fantasy world where he is superhero.
“I like to be able to move back and forth between film and TV. In my mind, I don’t really differentiate it right now… in the end, you either you gravitate towards a story or you don’t. Whether it ends up on Netflix or HBO or on the big screen for a period of time, it’s going to end up on Netflix or HBO eventually.” – Cary Fukunaga
- Netflix Almost Bought Landmark Theaters, Report Says
- Avengers: Infinity War Gets 5 Connected Posters Exclusively for Odeon Cinemas
- Halloween Gets a New Very Johnny Cash-esque Poster
- MLB Games You Should Watch on Thursday, April 19
- Masters of the Universe Collector's Choice Stridor Revealed by Super7
- Blade Joins The One:12 Collective Line in The Fall
- The Romanoffs Trailer: If Everyone’s a Romanoff, Is Anyone a Romanoff? - August 14, 2018
- Hulu Renews ‘Castle Rock’ Lease for “Wholly Original” Season 2 Story - August 14, 2018
- Castle Rock Season 1, Episode 6 ‘Filter’ Preview: Pangborn Needs “The Kid” to Make Good on Their Deal - August 14, 2018
- Castle Rock Rewind s01e05: A Look Back at Bleeding Cool’s Thoughts on ‘Harvest’ - August 13, 2018
- It’s 7 Blood Signs, Zero Bodies, and ‘One Dollar’ in CBS All Access’ Series Trailer - August 13, 2018