You know that feeling when you discover a bit of news from an advert on your own website? Well, the UK version of the Syfy channel is advertising that Marvel’s Runaways series, that aired on streaming service Hulu in the USA, will air with them in the UK. And begin on 18th April. Which is something I didn’t know and now do.
The show adapts the themes, characters and ideas from Brian K Vaughan and Adrian Alphona‘s series for Marvel Comics from 2003, a group of kids who discover that their parents are all secret super-villains. It was brilliant, it won awards, it was cancelled, but then revived on the back of really strong trade paperback sales and Joss Whedon wrote for it.
It differs from the comic book most in that the characters don’t run away quite so soon. And the characters of their parents are fleshed out far more, and you get a better idea of the Game Of Thrones-style machinations between them – and their children. Aspects only touched on in the comics are expanded and grown.
Which means, if you are a Runaways fan, there’s a lot new to love and explore, even if you may get a little impatient. And for people new to the Runaways, you won’t be at much of a disadvantage with those who aren’t. Also, it’s a really good TV show. And it has a dinosaur.
Runaways was created as a TV show for Hulu by Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, who are showrunners on he series. Rhenzy Feliz, Lyrica Okano, Virginia Gardner, Ariela Barer, Gregg Sulkin, and Allegra Acosta star as the six teenagers from different backgrounds who unite against their parents, the Pride, portrayed by Angel Parker, Ryan Sands, Annie Wersching, Kip Pardue, Ever Carradine, James Marsters, Brigid Brannagh, Kevin Weisman, Brittany Ishibashi, and James Yaegashi.
Runaways has also been renewed for a 13-episode second season. Syfy UK will probably get that too…
- BAFTA Announces the 14th Annual Game Awards Winners
- The Deaths of [SPOILERS] in Next Week’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Annual #1 - April 19, 2018
- Want to See Infinity War with Donny Cates and Jim Zub or Deadpool 2 with Fabian Nicieza? - April 19, 2018
- The ComiXology Version of Action Comics #1000 is Missing Important Pages - April 19, 2018
- Esad Ribic’s Cover for Fantastic Four #1 – and Reed is Keeping the Beard - April 19, 2018
- Venom #1 Relaunch from Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman Tops Advance Reorders - April 19, 2018