The Diamond Retailer Summit kicks off today. At a time when more comic book shop owners feel under threat and under pressure from a seemingly-shrinking market, and Marvel seems determined to undercut retailers digitally on their higher ticket items, there will be a lot to talk about.
As part of that, Marvel Comics has issued to retailers their Summer 2018 Marketing and Promotional Campaign plans. And, courtesy of Diamond Comic Distributors, we thought you’d like a look.
Marvel Comics is carrying out a multi-faceted marketing strategy to bring new and old comic book fans new creative teams, new series, new directions, and new beginnings.
These new #1s are reaching new audiences in 2018. Each of these new series is a perfect jumping on point for both super fans and first-time readers.
360 Marketing Campaigns: These title announcements, including Avengers #1, Captain America #1, and the return of the Fantastic Four, are supported by targeted Marvel and retailer campaigns:
Online and Social Media:
- Marvel.com interviews and promotions reaching millions of fans online a month
- Nationwide television spots and cross-promotional opportunities, reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers every month
- National press, entertainment press, and comics press outreach and pitching; reaching millions of readers a month
- Paid online advertising campaigns reaching different audiences to draw in new readers
- Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter video content to promote books and on-sale dates for sell-through opportunities, reaching millions of impressions per month
- Facebook banners and takeovers
- Celebrity endorsements and promotion
- Geo-targeting campaigns to grow new retail audiences awareness of retailer locations across the U.S.
- House advertisements in Marvel books and other publishing product
- Exclusive online title trailers and behind-the-scenes sneak peeks at books in production reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers
- Free Comic Book Day advertising
- Post in-store comics purchase rewards for Marvel Insider bonuses with free digital copy codes
In-Store, In-Theater and Conventions:
- Free Marvel Universe magazine featuring breathtaking art and Marvel 2018 Young Guns highlights
- Comic Shop News featurettes and exclusive interviews
- Free Marvel Previews
- Launch parties for select books, including creator spotlights, free and limited-edition variants (such as a Greg Land variant for Avengers #1 launch parties) and Young Guns exclusives
- Cross-promotional advertising at screenings of Avengers: Infinity War & Ant-Man and the Wasp
Might this be enough to move the needle?