With Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber‘s Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert! only mere hours away from its small screen bow, NBC has released a new video of Swedish hard rock/heavy metal singer-songwriter Erik Grönwall (Simon Zealotes) joining 400 Choir! Choir! Choir! singers for a truly captivating rendition of ‘Simon Zealotes’:
Grönwall joins a Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert! cast that includes singer/songwriter John Legend as Jesus Christ; singer/songwriter Sara Bareilles as Mary Magdalene, Hamilton‘s Brandon Victor Dixon as Judas, rock star Alice Cooper as King Herod, Ben Daniels as Pontius Pilate, Norm Lewis as Caiaphas, Jason Tam as Peter, and Jin Ha as Annas. Webber, Rice, Legend, Marc Platt, Craig Zadan, Neil Meron, Mike Jackson, Ty Stiklorius and Alex Rudzinski will executive produce; with Universal Television, The Really Useful Group, Marc Platt Productions and Zadan/Meron Productions sharing production duties.
NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert! airs tonight, April 1st, at 8 p.m. ET:
From executive producers Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice, Marc Platt, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron comes NBC’s next live musical spectacular, the groundbreaking rock opera “Jesus Christ Superstar LIVE!” Set during the final week of Jesus’ life, the story is told from the perspective of infamous betrayer Judas Iscariot.
As more and more followers flock to Jesus, Judas grows concerned that Jesus is becoming arrogant and losing sight of his principles. So when Jesus attacks the money changers in a temple, Judas finally turns on his teacher, setting both on a path to tragedy.
Originally conceived as a concept album that hit No. 1 on the Billboard charts, the show eventually made its way to the stage in 1971 and garnered five Tony nominations in addition to winning a Drama Desk Award for Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Now this globally celebrated classic comes to NBC in 2018 for a one-of-a-kind live staging on Easter Sunday that’s sure to amaze with jaw-dropping spectacle, an all-star cast of beloved recording artists and a fresh soundtrack featuring such hits as “Heaven on Their Minds,” “I Don’t Know How to Love Him” and “Superstar.”
Created by Webber and Rice, the original Broadway production of Jesus Christ Superstar starred Jeff Fenholt as Jesus of Nazareth, and ran from October 1971 through July 1973. Director Norman Jewison helmed a film version of the rock opera in 1973, starring Ted Neeley and Carl Anderson as Jesus and Judas, respectively; with both receiving Golden Globes nominations in 1974 for their performances.
Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert! continues NBC’s most recent run of live musical specials, which has also included The Sound of Music Live!, Peter Pan Live!and The Wiz Live!.
- Mondo Music Release of the Week: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure!
- Popeye Gets His Due from One:12 Collective with New Figure
- Heathers Season 1: Your Guide to Paramount Network’s 5-Night “Binge Event” - October 19, 2018
- Kidding Season 1, Episode 7 ‘Kintsugi’: “Mr. Pickles-san” Pays a Visit (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- Charmed s01e02 ‘Let This Mother Out’: Can The Vera Sisters Trust Harry Greenwood? (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 13, Episode 7: ‘The Gang Does a Clip Show’ as Only They Can (REVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9, Episode 3 ‘Warning Signs’: Saviors Want Answers from “The Widow” (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018