CBS All Access is hoping that Star Trek: Discovery‘s second season goes boldly where no other Star Trek series has gone before, and they’re looking to executive producer Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek) to make it so. Based on exclusive reporting from Variety, the series co-creator is set to direct the sci-fi drama’s season two debut episode, which is scheduled to begin production next month, though no season premiere date has been announced. Kurtzman co-developed Star Trek: Discovery with Bryan Fuller (American Gods), and was actively involved in many aspects of the show’s freshman season.
SPOILERS: With the Federation-Klingon war resulting in a surprisingly non-violent resolution, the USS Discovery sets off for Vulcan, but ends up answering a distress call from a starship you might be familiar with: USS Enterprise. While fans might be excited over the prospect of Cmdr. Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) meeting the USS Enterprise’s Capt. Christopher Pike, Kurtzman made it clear that Star Trek: Discovery will always focus on the crew of the Discovery; and that includes exploring all forms of family dynamics for the upcoming season:
“The show is called ‘Discovery.’ It’s not ‘Enterprise.’ So yes, the Enterprise will play a part of Season 2 but it will absolutely not overshadow Discovery. And I think with Enterprise’s arrival in the finale we recognize that the audience has a lot of questions about our synchronicity with the original series, which really means or synchronicity with canon. So the promise of the Enterprise holds the answers to a lot of those questions, including Spock’s relationship with his half-sister who he’s never mentioned. Which does not necessarily mean you’re going to see Spock, just that we owe an answer to that question.”
“Season 1 was really about the war and how the war tested our ideals as Starfleet It was very much about Michael’s story arc and her getting comfortable on Discovery. Fundamentally, it was really about bringing that crew together as a family. If you look at the crew in the beginning, they’re very separate and they’re not really connected yet. They are not sure of each other and their place on the ship. Over the course of the season, they really become a family.”
- CBS's 5 Year Mission with Alex Kurtzman and "Expanded Star Trek Universe"
- What's In The Box?!: Star Trek Mission Crate - April 2018
- Star Trek: Discovery Adds Captain Pike for Season 2
- Heathers Season 1: Your Guide to Paramount Network’s 5-Night “Binge Event” - October 19, 2018
- Kidding Season 1, Episode 7 ‘Kintsugi’: “Mr. Pickles-san” Pays a Visit (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- Charmed s01e02 ‘Let This Mother Out’: Can The Vera Sisters Trust Harry Greenwood? (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 13, Episode 7: ‘The Gang Does a Clip Show’ as Only They Can (REVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9, Episode 3 ‘Warning Signs’: Saviors Want Answers from “The Widow” (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018