With a little more than a week to go before the premiere of Supernatural‘s eagerly anticipated animated crossover with Scooby-Doo, the CW has released a mountain of preview pics for Season 13’s 16th episode, ‘Scoobynatural.’ With the episode set to premiere on Thursday, March 29 (and a special world premiere of the episode being held at this week’s PaleyFest television festival), here’s a look at what fans can expect (thanks to Entertainment Weekly); as well as the official episode teaser and some specific teases from showrunners Robert Singer and Andrew Dabb:
Supernatural 13×16 ‘Scoobynatural’: Jinkies! Supernatural gets animated when Sam, Dean and Castiel are transported into the world of Scooby-Doo – Sam (Jared Padalecki), Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Castiel (Misha Collins) are transported into the animated world of Scooby-Doo where they join forces with the Scooby gang to solve a ghostly mystery.
In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, showrunners Singer and Dabb offered fans a few more teases of what to expect from the episode:
● After going two-out-of-three falls with a stuffed dinosaur, a grateful pawnshop owner (faint smell of Friday the 13th: the TV Series here) offers the guys a free television as thanks. Sam’s (Jared Padalecki) hesitant, but Dean’s (Jensen Ackles) never one to turn down a potential addition to the “Dean Cave.” Bad move, because the Winchesters find themselves transported into a Scooby-Doo cartoon.
“Once they get over their amazement at being in the cartoon, two things happen. They say, ’We’ve been in a situation like this before with the Trickster and I think we’re supposed to play this out.’ And then they realize they’re in a Scooby-Doo cartoon, which makes Dean incredibly excited because Scooby-Doo was his favorite cartoon growing up.” – Singer
● The episode that the guys find themselves in? ‘A Night of Fright Is No Delight’, from 1970’s Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?!?. One big difference: with Sam and Dean there, the “episode” begins to take on a Supernatural-level of danger; and Dean’s “Scooby-Doo IQ” might just save their lives. “They walk into an old episode of Scooby-Doo, but it may end up being a new episode of Supernatural,” explains Dabb.
● Having an extensive knowledge of Scooby-Doo also means that Dean has some very “interesting” takes on Scooby, Shaggy and Velma — but saves the best for the ascot-wearer and his “girlfriend”: “Dean came of age in a time before the internet when Daphne wasn’t so bad,” Dabb says. “Dean has very strong opinions on all the Scooby characters, but especially Daphne and Fred.”
- Heathers Season 1: Your Guide to Paramount Network’s 5-Night “Binge Event” - October 19, 2018
- Kidding Season 1, Episode 7 ‘Kintsugi’: “Mr. Pickles-san” Pays a Visit (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- Charmed s01e02 ‘Let This Mother Out’: Can The Vera Sisters Trust Harry Greenwood? (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 13, Episode 7: ‘The Gang Does a Clip Show’ as Only They Can (REVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9, Episode 3 ‘Warning Signs’: Saviors Want Answers from “The Widow” (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018