I went to see Ready Player One at the BFI IMAX Cinema in London. I’ll talk more about the film in a minute, but the screening was delayed by some folk who wanted to talk to us first. I was expecting a lecture on the use of mobile phones.
Instead, Steven Spielberg, Tye Sheridan and Ben Mendelsohn stepped up to introduce the film to us. I was sitting in the back and it was a bit dark, but I grabbed my iPad:
That’s right folks, I got to see the film in IMAX – something Steven Spielberg has yet to do. And we learnt some geekier aspects of our stars…
Ready Player One is produced and directed by Steven Spielberg for Warner Bros and written by Zak Penn and Ernest Cline, based on Cline’s 2011 novel. The film stars Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, Ben Mendelsohn, Lena Waithe, Letitia Wright, T.J. Miller, Simon Pegg, and Mark Rylance. It premiered at SXSW and will be released in the USA on March 29th and in the UK on March 28th.
In the year 2045, the real world is a harsh place. The only time Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) truly feels alive is when he escapes to the OASIS, an immersive virtual universe where most of humanity spends their days. In the OASIS, you can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone-the only limits are your own imagination. The OASIS was created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday (Mark Rylance), who left his immense fortune and total control of the Oasis to the winner of a three-part contest he designed to find a worthy heir. When Wade conquers the first challenge of the reality-bending treasure hunt, he and his friends-aka the High Five-are hurled into a fantastical universe of discovery and danger to save the OASIS….
Okay, I guess I can say that I rather enjoyed it… or at least 95% of it. More in a minute or two.
- [#WonderCon] That Time George Lucas Visited the Ready Player One Set
- Listen to 'The OASIS' by Alan Silvestri from Ready Player One Soundtrack
- GLOW Funko Pops Are on the Way, Ruth and Debbie to Start
- Wolverine Gets a Brown Suit Statue from Gentle Giant Celebrating 45 Years
- Book Review: Ready Player One is a Love Letter to the '80s
- Here's The Thing About 'Ready Player One' Haters- They're Wrong
- Listen to Alan Silvestri's Ready Player One Main Theme
- 'Ready Player One' Releases 'Dreamer' Trailer, Yes There's Some New Footage
- Watch: 'Ready Player One' Author Ernie Cline Thanks Fans in New Video
- First Reactions for 'Ready Player One' Are in From #SXSW
- The Futures of Turtles, Ponies, Ghostbusters, and Kyle Baker’s Black Panther Debuts in IDW January 2019 Solicitations - October 17, 2018
- Christopher Jones’ Cover For Doctor Who Day’s Thirteenth Doctor #1 - October 16, 2018
- More DC Comics Move From 20 to 22 Pages For $3.99 With Aquaman and Justice League Joining In - October 16, 2018
- Dan Slott Applies to Trademark a Comic Book Called ‘Future Me’ - October 16, 2018
- Details On The ‘King-Size’ Kirby Is Fantastic Hardcover From Marvel Comics – The First of Many - October 16, 2018