[ Editor’s note: This Ready Player One activation walkthrough is brought to us by Bleeding Cool correspondent Brandon Wainerdi from SXSW.]
Capitalizing on the hype machine that surrounded Sunday’s premiere of Steven Spielberg’s latest film, Ready Player One also rented out an enormous building in the heart of South by Southwest (SXSW) to build even further excitement.
Fans were literally placed into the fabled OASIS, allowed to run around The Stacks (literally stacked trailer homes), a lifesize Iron Giant, and zero-gravity night clubs. There was a Hot Topic pop-up shop stocked to the brim with Funkos and pop-vinyl key sets, and exorbitant amount of patches made sure that fans could take some of the Ready Player One world home with them.
Various pieces of ’80s paraphernalia were scattered in corners of comfortable sofas and record players. And, then the highlight of the build-out for me especially, was a full replica of the hero DeLorean- complete with a flux capacitor and a movie-appropriate “Parzival” license plate. I definitely did not hold up the line with photos in a variety of poses to satiate my inner 10-year-old.
As an added bonus — my time at the activation was highlighted by surprise appearance of the full cast of The High Five. Tye Sheridan (Parzival), Olivia Cooke (Art3mis), Lena Waithe (Helen/Aech), Win Morisaki (Daito), and Philip Zhao (Shoto) held court with host Aisha Tyler (Archer) who delved into a Q&A covering everything from their auditions to their prior experience with Ernest Cline’s book (spoiler: not much).
You can read more about the LIVE event hosted by Twitch and IMDB here, which also had an appearance by Ben Mendelsohn (Nolan Sorrento), screenwriter Zak Penn, and author Ernie Cline.
Upstairs, there was a real-life version of the Stacks, each mobile home housing impressive VR experiences (which, obviously, were very tough to accurately photograph). But it was a nice touch and an obvious addition to the already-impressive marketing push. The movie (spoiler free review from the world premiere during SXSW here) might not open to the general public until March 29th, but for some lucky fans in Austin this weekend, the world has already gotten its first real look at living in the OASIS.
- 'Ready Player One' Releases 'Dreamer' Trailer, Yes There's Some New Footage
- Toys R Us to Close or Sell All 800 US Stores, UK Heads for Complete Shutdown
- Watch: 'Ready Player One' Author Ernie Cline Thanks Fans in New Video
- Hold on to Your Butts – Jurassic Park Dinosaur Funko Pops Are Here!
- Pixel Ripped 1989 Announced for GCD and PAX East Debut
- Let's Take a Look at the New Marvel Legends Cable Figure
- Nicolas Cage Will Voice Superman in the Teen Titans GO! Movie
- [#SXSW 2018] The Director and the Jedi Review: A Fascinating and Joyous Documentary About Star Wars
- Check Out These Ready Player One Magic Eye Posters from #SXSW
- Westworld Stars Evan Rachel Wood, James Marsden Do Carpool Karaoke at #SXSW
- [#SXSW 2018] SPOILER-FREE Ready Player One Review: Visually Stunning and a Ton of Fun
- First Reactions for 'Ready Player One' Are in From #SXSW
- [#SXSW 2018] Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger First Impressions: A Solid Start to a New Superhero TV Show
- [#SXSW 2018] Blockers Review: A Fresh and Funny Sex Comedy
- [#SXSW 2018] Galveston Review: Tough to Watch at Times, but Moving
- Ready Player One LIVE at #SXSW Powered by Twitch And IMDB
- [#SXSW 2018] Galveston: Mélanie Laurent Red Carpet Interview and Q&A
- [#SXSW 2018] American Animals: Blake Jenner Red Carpet Interview
- [#SXSW 2018] American Animals: Barry Keoghan Red Carpet Interview
- [#SXSW 2018] American Animals: Bart Layton Red Carpet Interview
- HBO SVP of Drama Spills on Game of Thrones’ Final Season - March 18, 2018
- Barbra Streisand Says Lady Gaga in ‘A Star Is Born’ is “Very, Very, Good” - March 17, 2018
- Here’s The Thing About ‘Ready Player One’ Haters- They’re Wrong - March 16, 2018
- Listen to Alan Silvestri’s Ready Player One Main Theme - March 15, 2018
- Check Out This Amazing NYC Game of Thrones Cosplay Shoot! - March 15, 2018