There are a lot of things that draw an actor to a particular project. Sometimes it can be the cast, the director, the script — but for actor Blake Jenner in American Animals, it was a sharp tone change that happens halfway through the movie. Jenner talked about the change (while being mindful of spoilers) and how it not only drew him to the project but also made it such a unique project to work on.
As an actor, I think that was what really turned me onto the project to begin with — because you’re essentially playing two different people. You’re playing the same person but in two completely different situations, different mindsets, so it was interesting to go there. We had all the help we needed with Bart; he has such an open door policy and [is] open to every idea. We also had each other to work off of. This team of actors — at least for me and I hope for everyone else too — there was no mistake to be made; just different ways to do things. It was really interesting to go from one to 10 in that regard. It was the most interesting and fun learning process I’ve ever been a part of. The coolest experimentation I’ve gotten to do an artist, and I guess I’m still figuring it out, the more I watch it, with the tone. It was a lot of fun.
For more from Jenner, including which genre he would love to act in and upcoming projects that he has on the go, watch the entire interview below.
Summary: Four young men mistake their lives for a movie and attempt one of the most audacious heists in U.S. history.
American Animals, directed by Bart Layton, stars Evan Peters, Barry Keoghan, Blake Jenner, Jared Abrahamson, Udo Kier, and Ann Dowd. It will be released on June 1st.
- [#SXSW] Walking Through the Ready Player One Activation
- [#SXSW 2018] American Animals: Bart Layton Red Carpet Interview
- [#SXSW] Krypton: Doomsday, Time Travel, and More
- [SXSW 2018] Ryan Holiday Talks the Fascinating Downfall of Gawker
- [SXSW] Ready Player One Events Announced
- Sonic the Hedgehog's Future to Be Revealed at SXSW
- Ready Player One: What Everyone Wants from the OASIS - March 24, 2018
- Steven S. DeKnight Wants to Make a Moon Knight Show - March 24, 2018
- Steven Spielberg Confirms the Tintin Sequel is Still Happening - March 24, 2018
- Steven Spielberg Talks Keeping References from His Own Movies out of Ready Player One - March 23, 2018
- Pacific Rim Uprising’s Director Talks Raleigh Becket’s Fate - March 23, 2018