We knew it was a distinct possibility, but this morning it was confirmed that Warner Brothers’ upcoming film adaptation of Ernie Cline‘s Ready Player One will have its official world premiere during South by Southwest (SXSW).
Director of Film at SXSW Janet Pierson sent out an email statement announcing the premiere:
“We are thrilled to be premiering Ready Player One at SXSW. The film brings to the screen a story that has captivated millions of readers around the globe, written by Austin’s very own Ernest Cline. And in the hands of Steven Spielberg—inarguably one of our greatest directors—we know the film is going to be a special cinematic event for our attendees.”
The festival, which kicked off officially on Friday, has been the sight of some pretty notable secret screenings in the past (like Baby Driver, and Atomic Blonde) and the sheer size of the PR1 presence signaled it was at least extremely likely to happen.
There is a large pop-up shop experience set up with a almost-life-size Iron Giant, Parzival’s personal DeLorean, and a light tunnel that would fit right in with The Grid from Tron. You can see those here. There was also a VR experience, offering eight different locations for fans to check out — one of which is Aech’s Basement.
Steven Spielberg is directing the film, and the two most recent TV spots that dropped for the movie have more of his touch than the previous trailers and teasers.
Batman, Chucky, King Kong, and the FREAKING T-REX FROM JURASSIC PARK, GUYS:
— Ready Player One (@readyplayerone) March 7, 2018
Also, the “Superman” spot:
— Ready Player One (@readyplayerone) March 9, 2018
Ready Player One will be doing a live stream event on Sunday, March 11th at 11 a.m. (PST) through a partnership with IMDb, and the film hits theaters on March 29th.
- Listen to Alan Silvestri's Ready Player One Main Theme
- 'Ready Player One' Releases 'Dreamer' Trailer, Yes There's Some New Footage
- Watch: 'Ready Player One' Author Ernie Cline Thanks Fans in New Video
- Check Out These Ready Player One Magic Eye Posters from #SXSW
- First Reactions for 'Ready Player One' Are in From #SXSW
- Ready Player One LIVE at #SXSW Powered by Twitch And IMDB
- These 'Ready Player One' Reimagined Classic Movie Posters Are AMAZING
- [SXSW] Ready Player One Events Announced
- Ready Player One: The High Five Announce Hot Topic PopUp Experience, New Footage
- Ready Player One: Hot Topic Releases Their Merchandise, And We Need It ALL
- Check Out These Funko 'Ready Player One' Pops!
- Ready Player One: Final Trailer Full of Pure Imagination
- Ready Player One 'The Stacks: Songs From The OASIS' Album Hits iTunes
- Steven Spielberg and Ernie Cline Talk Ready Player One, Plus NEW FOOTAGE
- Games of Berkeley to Host D&D “Art and Arcana” Signing Event - October 23, 2018
- ‘The Crown’: Season 3 Finds Their Camilla Parker Bowles - October 23, 2018
- ‘Marvel’s Luke Cage’: Mike Colter Posts Heartfelt Life Update - October 23, 2018
- Wanna See Imagine Dragons Music Video for ‘Ralph Breaks The Internet’? - October 23, 2018
- ‘Halloween’ 2018: Jamie Lee Curtis Rightfully Gets to Boast - October 22, 2018